• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Would this build work for 2D & 3D animation?

Faun

Faun

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
My laptop has given up on life so I need an upgrade. I think I've saved enough money for a PC but I have no idea if this entire setup would even work since PC-builder is US-based and I live in Europe, so I just mixed and matched what is affordable in our market. Please tell me if there are better, cheaper alternatives so I can save what's left for an upgrade or extra parts in the future.

Budget: $2600

CPU --- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3,6GHz Socket AM4 Box
CPU Cooler --- AMD Wraith Prism Cooler (Included with CPU)
Motherboard --- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi
Graphics Card --- Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Dual 2xHDMI 3xDP 8GB
Memory (RAM) --- Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 2x16GB (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)
PCIe-SSD --- Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series MZ-V7S500BW 500GB
Power Supply --- Corsair RM1000X 1000W
Case --- Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB (Svart/Transparent)
Monitor --- LG UltraGear 27GL850

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend going with a Ryzen 9 5900X when building at that budget. Could you check and see whether you can find one in your region for a reasonable price?

Reactions: Faun
Faun

Faun

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I would recommend going with a Ryzen 9 5900X when building at that budget. Could you check and see whether you can find one in your region for a reasonable price?

There are a few, but they come without an in-built cooler, which I believe is very convenient and saves me from the trouble of picking which cooler works best when there's so many of them.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few, but they come without an in-built cooler, which I believe is very convenient and saves me from the trouble of picking which cooler works best when there's so many of them.
True, but for workstations of a certain caliber, it's better to go with a custom cooler. Plus the 5900X would be noticeably smoother than the 3700X anyway. For a straightforward regular CPU cooler pick, I'd recommend the Mugen 5 Rev.B: CPU Kühler, NH-U12S (noctua.at), or the DARK ROCK SLIM (or Dark Rock Pro 4) from beQuiet! Get whatever you find at a reasonable price.

Faun

Faun

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
True, but for workstations of a certain caliber, it's better to go with a custom cooler. Plus the 5900X would be noticeably smoother than the 3700X anyway. For a straightforward regular CPU cooler pick, I'd recommend the Mugen 5 Rev.B: CPU Kühler, NH-U12S (noctua.at), or the DARK ROCK SLIM (or Dark Rock Pro 4) from beQuiet! Get whatever you find at a reasonable price.

Currently considering Dark Rock Pro 4 for now. Using currency converter, the total amount would be $2700. Including monitor, it would be $3400. I'll have to wait for a while and continue budgeting before I am able to afford the entire list. Thank you for your help Jerry.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently considering Dark Rock Pro 4 for now. Using currency converter, the total amount would be $2700. Including monitor, it would be $3400. I'll have to wait for a while and continue budgeting before I am able to afford the entire list. Thank you for your help Jerry.
Ah I see. You can also check prices for Intel processors. The Core i7 10700K would be a good choice if you're not looking to do much CPU rendering. That should drop prices down to affordable territory (hopefully).

Faun

Faun

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Ah I see. You can also check prices for Intel processors. The Core i7 10700K would be a good choice if you're not looking to do much CPU rendering. That should drop prices down to affordable territory (hopefully).

Oh that sounds really promising! Yes it is more affordable now, the only thing left for me to worry about is whether this will have little or drastic change with my animations, rendering and casual gaming on the side. Hopefully my GPU can shoulder all the weight.

There is also the option to wait for just a few months for my budget to catch up with the total amount (3400). I am im no hurry since I have access to school equipment for light animation and rendering.

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh that sounds really promising! Yes it is more affordable now, the only thing left for me to worry about is whether this will have little or drastic change with my animations, rendering and casual gaming on the side. Hopefully, my GPU can shoulder all the weight.

There is also the option to wait for just a few months for my budget to catch up with the total amount (3400). I am im no hurry since I have access to school equipment for light animation and rendering.
It kinda depends on how much you're comfortable spending to get the 'best.' For workstations, it goes Ryzen 5000 > 10th Gen Intel Core i9 and i7 > Ryzen 3000. If you're doing GPU rendering, it will affect the number of GPUs you can add to your system. But if you're just planning for a single GPU system, it won't really matter.

Faun

Faun

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
It kinda depends on how much you're comfortable spending to get the 'best.' For workstations, it goes Ryzen 5000 > 10th Gen Intel Core i9 and i7 > Ryzen 3000. If you're doing GPU rendering, it will affect the number of GPUs you can add to your system. But if you're just planning for a single GPU system, it won't really matter.

I am comfortable with it, since I plan on working with 2D & 3D professionally in the near future.

That's another thing I learned today: A single powerful GPU is better than multiple. I just went with what's highly recommended in the market ( Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Dual 2xHDMI 3xDP 8GB -- why are the names so long 😂 ) but is there a single graphic card that's better than this specific 2X graphic card?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
I am comfortable with it, since I plan on working with 2D & 3D professionally in the near future.

That's another thing I learned today: A single powerful GPU is better than multiple. I just went with what's highly recommended in the market ( Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Dual 2xHDMI 3xDP 8GB -- why are the names so long 😂 ) but is there a single graphic card that's better than this specific 2X graphic card?
True. It kinda depends on your workload too. If you're using GPU render engines like Redshift, your performance will scale almost linearly when you add more GPUs. So, two weaker GPUs would be faster than a single more powerful one in that case. You can find a few benchmarks here - Redshift Benchmark Results (Updated) - CG Director

As for something more powerful than the RTX 3070, do you mean a 2-slot card by 2X card? The RTX 3080 and 3090 are considerably faster, but aren't what we would call good value.

A

albertomysterio

Tech Intern
Reaction score
I will recommend you "HP OMEN 880 Desktop" because this is very affordable and also supporting for animation work. I am also using it. I use it for creating 2d and 3d animations and I am very satisfied with it. This is also good for creating high-quality games.

Mod Note: ~deLinked