• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Video Editing, should I upgrade to new PC

D

Doyle

Very little technical knowledge so looking for advice if I would see a significant improvement in video editing given my current PC vs a upgrade. All my editing is family related but I have a significant number of videos to try and edit to a manageable number so kids and grandkids will watch them. I currently use Adobe Premiere elements for video and Lightroom for editing and tagging photos.

Editing time is tolerable but a much faster render time and saving final project. I hope a SSD would be a big plus.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I hope to stay around $2200 which I thought was what the build noted so might have to go back and recheck components.

Current
Altex Tria PC is Intel TM i7-4770k
16 GB 64 bit operation

Used the build feature and got the following
CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6M9uB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor ($785.08)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4 ($249.99)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - Asus Dual ($998.97)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16 ($129.99)
Storage SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 Solid State Drive ($139.99)
Storage HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 4TB, 3.5" ($79.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply ($89.99)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99)
Total: $2953.88

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Very little technical knowledge so looking for advice if I would see a significant improvement in video editing given my current PC vs a upgrade. All my editing is family related but I have a significant number of videos to try and edit to a manageable number so kids and grandkids will watch them. I currently use Adobe Premiere elements for video and Lightroom for editing and tagging photos.

Editing time is tolerable but a much faster render time and saving final project. I hope a SSD would be a big plus.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I hope to stay around $2200 which I thought was what the build noted so might have to go back and recheck components.

Current
Altex Tria PC is Intel TM i7-4770k
16 GB 64 bit operation

Used the build feature and got the following
CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6M9uB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor ($785.08)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4 ($249.99)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - Asus Dual ($998.97)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16 ($129.99)
Storage SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 Solid State Drive ($139.99)
Storage HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 4TB, 3.5" ($79.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply ($89.99)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99)
Total: $2953.88
Oh yeah, it'll be a noticeable uplift in both timeline and export performance when jumping up to this build. You should get 32GB RAM in case you're working with large videos.

PS. I'd recommend trying to find an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in your region if possible because that'll be a better performer at a lower price.

D

Doyle

Oh yeah, it'll be a noticeable uplift in both timeline and export performance when jumping up to this build. You should get 32GB RAM in case you're working with large videos.

PS. I'd recommend trying to find an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in your region if possible because that'll be a better performer at a lower price.

Thanks Jerry,

What are your thoughts on substituting the Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - Asus Dual ($998.97) with a lower cost component?
- How much impact on video editing would I see if I went with:
- AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB XFX

If a significant impact do you have a recommendation that might be midway price wise.

I have an older HP Pavillion that maybe could be used for the case or ?. Not sure of the model but case says it has a Nvidia card. The PC must be 8-10 years old but used it's firewire connection to download some of my older digital video tapes I took with an older Sony camera.

After I hear back from you going to check in Waco to see if I can find a custom PC builder and check prices.

Thanks for your help.

Doyle
ded4hour@gmail.com

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry,

What are your thoughts on substituting the Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - Asus Dual ($998.97) with a lower cost component?
- How much impact on video editing would I see if I went with:
- AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB XFX

If a significant impact do you have a recommendation that might be midway price wise.

I have an older HP Pavillion that maybe could be used for the case or ?. Not sure of the model but case says it has a Nvidia card. The PC must be 8-10 years old but used it's firewire connection to download some of my older digital video tapes I took with an older Sony camera.

After I hear back from you going to check in Waco to see if I can find a custom PC builder and check prices.

Thanks for your help.

Doyle
ded4hour@gmail.com
If you do want to drop down, I'd suggest trying to find a GTX 1660 Super. That's a good value sweet spot. But because of these stock issues, you might have a hard time finding one that's reasonably priced.