• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New PC build for AE & C4D use. Looking for temp GPU recommendations due to global shortage

A

Annie

Hey!
Looking to use this new build for layered AE projects and C4D animation, and rendering as a secondary use. I have a budget of 5k.

This is what the PC builder recommended:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($1034.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4 ($262.13)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - ZOTAC Gaming Twin Edge ($2194.15)
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16 ($364.99)
Storage SSD: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($217.89)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB M.2 Solid State Drive ($299.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply ($72.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($160.17)
Total: $4696.21

I can't find that GPU or RAM anywhere online, and I'm wondering three things:
A.) Can this build (motherboard) accomodate two GPU's? If I were to purchase whatever I can find for now, can I add the recommended one later on?
B.) What should I be looking for in terms of compatibility when searching for other GPUs?
C.) Do you have any recommendations for a GPU on amazon right now that would be decent to get going with?

Thank you so much for any help! I am new at this, never build a PC, and I'm a lifelong mac user.

Best,
Annie

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
A.) Can this build (motherboard) accomodate two GPU's? If I were to purchase whatever I can find for now, can I add the recommended one later on?
It can, but if you're looking to future proof your build a bit more (keeping it as is for 4-5 years with just GPU upgrades for rendering), I'd recommend hopping up to an MSI X570 Unify, ASRock X570 Taichi, or an ASUS WS X570 ACE.

B.) What should I be looking for in terms of compatibility when searching for other GPUs?
Well, I'd recommend not paying $2000+ on a _70-class graphics card. Prices are extremely inflated right now so you might have a hard time finding one that's reasonably priced. This list of more local outlets might help - https://www.cgdirector.com/where-to...uy_PC-Parts_CPUs_and_Graphics_Cards_in_Canada

C.) Do you have any recommendations for a GPU on amazon right now that would be decent to get going with?
Amazon stock is...quite horrible at the moment. I'd suggest looking at local hardware shops to get a better deal. For your use case, I'd go with an RTX 3070, but a decently-priced one. Ideally, well under $1000.

A

Annie

Thanks Jerry, I really appreciate your help.
I'd love to avoid giving Amazon any of my money, so I'll look local first.

Reactions: Jerry James
A

Annie

Hi,
I am able to get these components locally, and wanted to get your thoughts on them:

- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core/32-Thread
- 2x G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600Mhz CL16
- SAMSUNG 980 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 Solid State Drive, Read:7,000 MB/s, Write:5,000 MB/s (MZ V8P2T0B/AM)
- SAMSUNG 870 QVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
- NZXT C Series C850 - 850W ATX modular PSU, 80 PLUSGold
- Phanteks Eclipse P500A Mid Tower Case, Tempered Glass, Black
- be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 4
- ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3070

The contact recommended ASRock X570 Taichi for the motherboard. What do you think of this build?
They are charging $959.99 CAD for the graphics card, do you think that I could do better?

Thanks!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am able to get these components locally, and wanted to get your thoughts on them:

- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core/32-Thread
- 2x G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 32GB(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600Mhz CL16
- SAMSUNG 980 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 Solid State Drive, Read:7,000 MB/s, Write:5,000 MB/s (MZ V8P2T0B/AM)
- SAMSUNG 870 QVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
- NZXT C Series C850 - 850W ATX modular PSU, 80 PLUSGold
- Phanteks Eclipse P500A Mid Tower Case, Tempered Glass, Black
- be quiet! DARK ROCK PRO 4
- ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3070

The contact recommended ASRock X570 Taichi for the motherboard. What do you think of this build?
They are charging $959.99 CAD for the graphics card, do you think that I could do better?

Thanks!
The build looks great to me. The Taichi is an excellent board, no issues there :) The only thing you might want to bump up here is the power supply. If you're planning to run multiple GPUs, it's a good idea to leave enough headroom for future upgrades.

PS. The price on that GPU isn't awesome, but it's probably pretty close to the best you'll get in this market.

A

Annie

Jerry! You're the best. Thank you so much for your help. I'm excited.

Annie

• Love
Reactions: Jerry James