• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New User Introduction

D

dashman

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Alex and everyone!

My name is Dan, I am a VFX Artist who is planning to get myself into freelance VFX and thus, building my own workstation. I have posted on the forum before as a guest, but now I am officially joining as a member. I am not the most tech savvy and this website has been very helpful on helping me learn. Very excited to be joining this forum.
Anyway, nice to meet you all! :)
Dan

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
ernestto

ernestto

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Good morning Alex,

Im webmaster and multimedia developer.
I look forward to exchanging knowledge with the community and collaborating on projects.
A greeting

S

Superka

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Pavel Suprun
USSR-Ukraine-Russia
An Architect
CG-artist from Celeron 600Mhz times
Hello!

• Love
Reactions: Alex Glawion, ernestto and Jerry James
edub

edub

Tech Intern
Reaction score
hi - new member here! I'm Erik. Full-time Archviz - mainly C4D/Corona, but investigating GPU rendering options (Redshift). Just posted a new topic, looking for insights into laptop+eGPU setups.

Reactions: Alex Glawion, ernestto and Jerry James
M

Mel

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a traditional visual artist trying to break into the graphic design world. I have a little experience in Photoshop from years past but I really need to tke the time this year to hone my skills. While I was online computer hunting I realized that it may be much more affordable and educational to build my own desktop for the graphic projects I intend on doing. So here am. I have a feeling there will be many obstacles along the way as I am still trying to understand technology but I think its a pretty cool thing that one can actually put something together as sophisticated as a computer, its pretty brilliant. So, right now I do traditional painting and I would like to try using a drawing monitor or drawing tablet although I am not sure about pros and cons yet, I also live in Italy so any suggestions would have to include this particular. Perhaps some of you have some ideas. Here is a photo of one of my traditional drawings. charcoal on paper. Imagne that, a thing of the past. thanks for having me.

Attachments

• nonno P adjust.jpg
    nonno P adjust.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion
M

Mel

Tech Intern
Reaction score
hi - new member here! I'm Erik. Full-time Archviz - mainly C4D/Corona, but investigating GPU rendering options (Redshift). Just posted a new topic, looking for insights into laptop+eGPU setups.
Wow, thats really amazing rendering. I really thought those mountains were real. Thats crazy. I like the babies too. I think they are real though.

Gabrielmtn

Gabrielmtn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi there, I appreciated so many articles on hardware I eventually decided I'd best join your community here! I do UI/UX for web apps, and have developed a passion for Cinema4D over these odd months.

• Love
Rene Lamens

Rene Lamens

Tech Intern
Reaction score
The 30th October 2020 I'll retire from a 35 year IT career at one of the largest energy companies in the world where I was part of the evolution of Information Technology, from my Acorn BBC+ home computer to Cloud Computing. I was an early user of Blender, the Gimp, Unity and other software related to 2D, 3D modeling and animation but never had the time to fully exploit that. Now I'm retiring and have enough time, my next goal is to become that expert and I hope this forum will be the resource to help me take that next step.

Reactions: Jerry James, Gabrielmtn and Alex Glawion
Gabrielmtn

Gabrielmtn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
The 30th October 2020 I'll retire from a 35 year IT career at one of the largest energy companies in the world where I was part of the evolution of Information Technology, from my Acorn BBC+ home computer to Cloud Computing. I was an early user of Blender, the Gimp, Unity and other software related to 2D, 3D modeling and animation but never had the time to fully exploit that. Now I'm retiring and have enough time, my next goal is to become that expert and I hope this forum will be the resource to help me take that next step.

@Rene Lamens What kind of aesthetic are you looking forward to trying for first?

Rene Lamens

Rene Lamens

Tech Intern
Reaction score
@Gabrielmtn Modeling cars, I'm a big F1 fan (Max Verstappen) and sculpting, things like my profile picture, which is character from a painting by Jeroen Bosch. What's yours?

Attachments

• Jeroen_Bosch De_verzoeking_van_de_heilige_Antonius_(ca_1500)_Lissabon_Museu_Nacional_de_Arte_A...jpg
    Jeroen_Bosch De_verzoeking_van_de_heilige_Antonius_(ca_1500)_Lissabon_Museu_Nacional_de_Arte_A...jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Jerry James
D

darylwong

Tech Intern
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! :)

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:
- Get an expert opinion on your planned PC Build or Hardware Upgrade
- Discuss 3D, Video Editing, Graphic Design Workloads or Gaming Workloads
- Show us some of your recent work!

... and more :)
Hi Alex and team! I'm Daryl from Malaysia. I'm not a designer or animator but I'm an avid gamer and really love building new PCs and anything to do with computing.

I'm a software engineer and recently built and launched a crowd-rendering platform for Blender called Nebula - it's a platform that crowd-sources computing power from anyone with a computer and internet to get faster renders at lower costs. It's kinda like an AirBnB of sorts for your computer, share your computer's processing power and get paid for work completed on your PC, and users only pay for resources they use for their renders. So the platform gets more and more powerful as more people start sharing their computers on it.

I came up with the idea when it was time for me to upgrade my own gaming rig but couldn't afford to and I started wondering if I could somehow link up multiple computers to make a more powerful one for gaming. It didn't work for gaming but I found out it could work rendering, so I decided to start building and see if it could be useful to designers / animators / game devs.

That's how I stumbled on this forum as I was hoping to find designers that this platform could be useful to. Check it out and let me know what you think! Website : https://www.nebula.my

Reactions: Jerry James and Gabrielmtn
Gabrielmtn

Gabrielmtn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
@darylwong Good luck! One of the best parts of being a small agile startup is that you'll run into lots of hurdles, but you're so small and agile it'll be simple to just change course. This looming branding issue might be one of those, but I think your idea is great and a quick rebrand can definitely be a net positive, good luck again! https://www.nebularender.com/index.html

@Rene Lamens I started with web animation stuff like this, https://codepen.io/Gabrielmtn/pen/jEXOjw
and I just wanted more power to make stuff like the following, so I started caring about rendering and pc power, which brought me here! https://streamable.com/tw4l2u

Reactions: Jerry James and darylwong
AndyAkins

AndyAkins

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a 3d enthusiast/hobbyist who just recently got started - been doing work on Daz3d for the past three months. That means IRAY rendering, which has been a challenge since I've been a Mac user for over 20 years and my iMac of course can't get modern Nvidia cards.

So, I have a sizable amount of $$ coming my way late October, and my birthday is in November, so I plan on treating myself to my first PC in over 20 years - one dedicated to 3d art and rendering.

I'm hoping that by November, some of the new 30#0 cards will be available, as I'd like to get one (a 3090, preferred). Other than that, I'm pretty new to modern PCs, so I'm hoping to learn and get guidance on forums/sites like this. I'm basically thinking of getting a top end processor and matching motherboard, a 30#0 GPU, two M.2 SSDs (one for apps, one for rapid data) and a SATA HDD (for archiving), 64GB RAM, plus all the appropriate cooling and PSU (part of why I'm here, to make sure I get good/correct stuff). I'm not particularly interested in building a "gaming" machine - not that I won't play some games (Cyberpunk 2077 intrigues me) - but the main reason for the build is rendering.

One of my main questions at this time is CPU choice. Back in the day, I was an AMD fan. So I'm leaning in that direction. But I'm unsure if the Threadripper is worth the added cost for me, as IRAY renders are better served by CUDA cores than CPU cores - should I instead go with a Ryzen and put more of my $$ into other components... Also, so many motherboards seem to be targeted to the gamer segments (LEDs, huge number of I/O ports, overclocking, etc) - is there any "workstation" class motherboards that might be either 1) cheaper, 2) more stable, 3) more performant re: creative vs gaming tasks...

Well, that's me. Professionally, I'm an IT professional (Cloud Engineer) but my work is largely on UNIX servers (and Mac desktops). Personally, married, three grown kids, live in the southeast US. 3D art is a new hobby I've picked up now that my wife and I are approaching being empty nesters.

My modest work can be found at https://www.deviantart.com/andyakins

Thanks!

Reactions: Alex Glawion, Gabrielmtn and Jerry James
Samhain013

Samhain013

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
First I'd like to thank Alex for giving me this opportunity. I just recently found this site and so far it's very helpful but I still need some help. I am currently looking for ways to make my ideal workstation. What I am about to say is going to make me sound really out of my mind but you all must believe me that with my line of work you need a workstation like this. So for my ideal workstation I need one that's capable of 3D modeling and render so I'm able to make props, armor, statues of comic book characters or for board games, work on my diorama of the fictional country I'm trying to build. While at the same time I need it do some graphic design, adobe illustrator, and other stuff for scenery backgrounds for either theatre and possibly film production. I'd also like my workstation to give me the opportunity to draft, edit video, photos, audio and music. I'd also like to be able to sync up my devices with my workstation, play video games and like video chatting with friends and coworkers, and some other stuff. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

W

Walt_W

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Walt and I have been in the telecommunications industry for around 25 years. While I know a bit about getting video from point to another, I have no experience in creating. I found your website while researching builds for my daughter who is studying animation and studio arts in college. The articles I have found here have been no end of help. Thank you.

waya

waya

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex,
Thanks for letting me in. I found your site while trying to build my next PC. Will be a first. Thanks for all the hard work. It's priceless!

G

gkyh

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

I am a freelance designer in United States mainly using Cinema 4D / Redshift.
I've joined this forum to get some insight on building/upgrading my PC

Thanks!
GKYH

K's_monster

K's_monster

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

Most people call me H, I am an Engineering Student at SJSU and I've been tinkering with 3D printing for a little under a year now and my current windows Surface Pro cant keep up at all now that I'm creating my own models with slicing sometimes taking several hours.

Its definitely time to upgrade to something that actually has a graphics card. I found this forum when trying to learn about building my own rig and with little to no experience building a PC I am quickly becoming overwhelmed.

Then I found this forum and everyone here seems helpful and open to any levels of expertise.

I used your PC builder program and my next step will be to see what the community thinks of my build.

Cheers,
H

aurangzeb

aurangzeb

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Alex,
I love your Website
I use Cinema 4d for my 3D work and i am currently learning C4d . It was quite difficult at first, but after a while I was able to have some regulars that keep coming back (seems like I am doing something right... ) you guys can see my work on instagram @AZP3D :giggle:

simon8

simon8

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey, My name is Simon.
I'm a multimedia artist from BC, Canada. https://simonhaiduk.com/
I work mostly with digital painting, though bring them into animations for VJ work and create various kinds of music also.
I've been on Mac for years, no looking at doing a custom PC build to up my animation abilities. Mac is just getting rediculously expensive.

This was the most recent motion graphics peice I did based on an album cover that turned into a music video animation.

Looking forward to engaging here and thanks to the peeps who made this website!

• Love