• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

1 PC for intensive CPU and GPU?

G

graham77

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Can i really have the best of both worlds in 1 PC for around £4000-£6000 budget? I do read that 16 core setups can favour a GPU and CPU need?
I do AE / C4D motion graphics currently, also Premiere and Da Vinci is a requirement. But moving into Octane / Redshift / Unreal.

GPU power that will make very light work of Octane / Redshift and Unreal plus also be a good rendering machine with 1 or 2 3090 / 4090 route.
and
CPU that will handle intensive AE ( (inc use of BorisFX / Sapphire / Red Giant plugins) / Premiere work.

Please i'm not looking for a PC / Mac showdown here :) but currently (for my own reasons) i'm using a Mac Studio Ultra 48. So this is my comparison point for my current situation on the AE side of things. Sapphire and Boris really lag on the Mac Studio also.

Can i have a decent GPU PC for high end render engine work that will still run AE that will put the Mac Studio to shame?

? thanks for reading, i look forward to your input.

G

graham77

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Am i just thinking too much about this. Is it a case of going Big on the GPU and going big on the CPU (meaning more cash spent) to get best of both worlds?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
GPU power that will make very light work of Octane / Redshift and Unreal plus also be a good rendering machine with 1 or 2 3090 / 4090 route.
Oh yeah, a single machine does the job, until you hit a bottleneck on a single graphics card.

Can i really have the best of both worlds in 1 PC for around £4000-£6000 budget?
For multiple cards, a single system is possible, but it can be quite a journey considering the size of the new GPUs. However, you can definitely build a Ryzen 9 7950X + RTX 4090 machine that'll handle both sides of your workloads pretty well. If you still want to add another GPU, you can read through one of our user's posts here to find the parts and process they used - https://www.cgdirector.com/forum/th...oled-dual-4090-founders-editions-system.1091/

G

graham77

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Oh yeah, a single machine does the job, until you hit a bottleneck on a single graphics card.

For multiple cards, a single system is possible, but it can be quite a journey considering the size of the new GPUs. However, you can definitely build a Ryzen 9 7950X + RTX 4090 machine that'll handle both sides of your workloads pretty well. If you still want to add another GPU, you can read through one of our user's posts here to find the parts and process they used - https://www.cgdirector.com/forum/th...oled-dual-4090-founders-editions-system.1091/
Hi Jerry :)
Thanks for getting back to me. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the matter of 3D and AE, comparing Mac and PC specifically for AE performance. I understand that AE doesn't need a higher end GPU to do what it does well, i read 2080's are more than enough if you were building a AE specific machine that is. But i guess higher end cards well take advantage of the GPU (3rd party) plugin needs.

I have also read a fair bit about 1 and 2 GPU cards since my message. Heat / noise and general balance becomes more of a management system if you try to much. I feel a 4090 would be a great choice, i mean if my 3D career takes the right path i'd be looking at building a render only machine to cope with the production side of things.

Any chance you have a good spec list on a 'Ryzen 9 7950X + RTX 4090 machine'? I'm curious to know what the best cooling i should consider. Can i use a cooling system that reduces the need to have fans and the noise that comes with the fans. An old PC i had sounded like a passenger jet. I'm also in an open-plan space shared with others so noise is a thing for me.

Thanks for your input so far and any extra info would be gratefully received with guidance and experience.

It is funny but if you google Mac vs Mac for AE use (and 3rd party plugins) there isn't a whole lot out there :)

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance you have a good spec list on a 'Ryzen 9 7950X + RTX 4090 machine'
Our PC builder is a great place to start:

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6NKU5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5GHz 16-Core Processor ($569.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: Asus ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI ATX AM5 ($499.99)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB - MSI Gaming ($1599.99)
Memory: 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CL30 ($299.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: WD Black SN850X 2TB NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive ($159.99)
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 80+ Platinum Power Supply ($237.64)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99)
Total: $3586.49

In this build, I'd switch out the cooler for a good AIO Liquid cooler like the arctic freezer or something. Case, of course, depends on your preference. Other than that, looks good to me.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
It is funny but if you google Mac vs Mac for AE use (and 3rd party plugins) there isn't a whole lot out there :)
Sadly, it's the curse of working in a specialized field with a high barrier to entry :censored: