• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

1st timer, PC build: gaming, video editing, graphic design/painting, 3d modeling and animation

T

Tuhrel

Hello,

I used the pc builder and got this list for 3d modeling and animation. I have no knowledge when it comes to building pc's and I was wondering what needs to be changed here for this pc to work for gaming, video editing and graphic design in general. I am willing to compromise a bit in order to achieve the pc I want. Gaming is not much of a priority for me but I do want to focus on the other things. Thank your for your help!

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6MTjT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($699.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4 ($249.99)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700XT - PowerColor Red Devil ($849.99)
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 C16 ($239.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVMe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive ($259.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply ($49.99)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.99)
Total: $2604.83

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Overall the build looks okay to me, but you might want to switch to Nvidia graphics instead of AMD. NVidia tends to play better with professional applications. What kinds of apps are you using btw and what sort of work?

T

Tuhrel

Overall the build looks okay to me, but you might want to switch to Nvidia graphics instead of AMD. NVidia tends to play better with professional applications. What kinds of apps are you using btw and what sort of work?
Thank you for replying! I'm working with graphic design apps from Affinity, Krita, and every now and then on video/music editing and such. My main focus is on graphic design and what it encompasses but I want to jump into Blender and other 3d apps as well as ClipStudio Paint.

Reactions: Jerry James
magneto

magneto

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I would suggest you expand on your storage stratergy. I would add a Small, (250GB) NVMe M.2 or SATA SSD and plan to install Windows and all your Applications there, (250GB would be more than ample), then use your 2TB NVMe Drive for all your various "live" Projects work and buy a 3 to 4GB or larger spinning HDD for Backing Up and things like photos, music, manuals, downloads, documents, etc.