• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

32GB x 2 vs 32GB x 4 RAM?

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a potential Ryzen5950x build for general 2d and 3d tasks...

As there are 4 Memory slots I could go with 32GB x 2 =64GB for now and if situation requires add another 2 x 32GB modules.
My question-

A- Will the 2 modules that I buy later work with the already bought modules even if they are the same brand and model, as they are not matched set? Should I just hope that 64GB will be enough for a long time?

B- If I use 4 modules, should I still aim for 3600MHz speed? I read somewhere that for Ryzen 5950x, 3600 Mhz memory speed really helps?

Thanks

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Will the 2 modules that I buy later work with the already bought modules even if they are the same brand and model, as they are not matched set?
This is mostly a luck thing. In a few very unlucky cases, I've seen issues with getting to rated speeds. For the vast majority of people though, it should work just fine.

If I use 4 modules, should I still aim for 3600MHz speed? I read somewhere that for Ryzen 5950x, 3600 Mhz memory speed really helps?
It kinda depends on the work you do. Usually, if your task is more memory-intensive (i.e., needs more QUANTITY of memory), you won't gain too much from going for higher speed kits. If you're going with 4 modules, 3600 might become a bit too pricey. But it varies region to region, so you'll have to check and see whether you can justify the premium over four 3200MHz modules.

As there are 4 Memory slots I could go with 32GB x 2 =64GB for now and if situation requires add another 2 x 32GB modules
Yes, this is usually the best path as it allows for future expandability without dealing with buying 4 new modules down the line and then looking to sell off the older kit.

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Jerry!