• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

3D modeling and gpu rendering desktop

M

MStein

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking. As I won't be able to cut render times via GPU, which means that I won't be spending money on a GPU for some months at least, I could, instead, sell my 5600x and get a ryzen 5900x. Is it compatible with my mother board? The Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 should be enough to keep it running cool, right?
I'm seriously considering this option.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking. As I won't be able to cut render times via GPU, which means that I won't be spending money on a GPU for some months at least, I could, instead, sell my 5600x and get a ryzen 5900x. Is it compatible with my mother board? The Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 should be enough to keep it running cool, right?
I'm seriously considering this option.
Yep, it'll work just fine with your build :)

Reactions: MStein
M

MStein

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
5900x just arrived today 🤩 Things seem to be starting to fall intro place
If you'll go with the 3080 I'd suggest to go with the 850W PSU to be on the safe side. See if you can find a good one from beQuiet, Corsair or seasonic with a high efficiency as those tend to be among the best.
Hi Alex. I changed the 5600x for a 5900x, but this means that, even when prices go down, I'll probably stick with a 3060ti for some time. No rtx 3080 for me. PC Part picker gives an estimate of 464W with a 3060ti. Do you think I'll be safe going for a Corsair RM750 PSU? (80 Plus gold, Full Modular). Jerry, what's your opinion on the matter?

Pictures soon!

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
5900x just arrived today 🤩 Things seem to be starting to fall intro place

Hi Alex. I changed the 5600x for a 5900x, but this means that, even when prices go down, I'll probably stick with a 3060ti for some time. No rtx 3080 for me. PC Part picker gives an estimate of 464W with a 3060ti. Do you think I'll be safe going for a Corsair RM750 PSU? (80 Plus gold, Full Modular). Jerry, what's your opinion on the matter?

Pictures soon!

Yeah, that's a bit overkill if you don't want to go above a 3060Ti any time soon. But it should cover you for most of your upgrades in the xx70 range (unless NVIDIA releases something really weird in the future) so all good if that's the plan.

M

MStein

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you say a 650w might be a better choice?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Would you say a 650w might be a better choice?
If an upgrade (CPU or GPU) over this performance/power tier isn't on the horizon over the lifetime of your PSU, then yep. Keep in mind, good PSUs last a long time so this one would completely depend on what you're planning. If you'd like the option of adding in more graphics cards (or more powerful top-tier cards) without the hassle of replacing your PSU, buy as high a wattage as you can. But if that option doesn't really matter to you, yep a 650W will do you well.

PS. Grab a 750W if the price difference is negligible though. In my region, they're priced almost identically so it doesn't make much sense to go 650W here.

Edit: Just saw that you're going with a 5900X, not a 5600X. I'd recommend getting that 750W.

Reactions: MStein
M

MStein

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Jerry. In that case I'll stick with the 750w for now!