• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Advice needed for new setup-NVME wise

E

Eran

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading an old set (based on X-299 chipset), almost from scratch. the only hardware I'm keeping is Titan GPU.
I'm using mostly Photoshop and Lightroom, running multi layers heavy files and large scale catalogs.
The system starts with an Intel i7 12700, and Since I need several NVMe drives, I asked at my local store about the Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus D4, with 3 M.2 drives (all of them PCIe.4 - for system, storage and cache).
I was told I can't use this motherboard in order to maintain full speed of all three drives, since all of them will share same lanes.
According to what they say, there are some very expensive MB that can handle what I'm looking for, but I want to understand what I should expect if I'll stay with my current choice, regarding NVMe's performance.

Thanks!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I don't see any shared lanes in the manual. Perhaps they mean that the bottom slots all go through the chipset.

1654778379799.png
So if you use them all full-tilt simultaneously, you'll get a bottleneck. But when you're working with these many devices, some trade-offs like these are common when you go with a mainstream platform instead of HEDT :) Then again, professionals usually wouldn't be hitting all their storage drives at the same time, so most don't notice.
PS. The top M.2 is connected directly to your CPU, so that's not affected regardless of what you're doing on the other devices.

E

Eran

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry!:)

Reactions: Jerry James