• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Advice required for proposed new build

D

Deveng

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice re a new build I’m planning. This will be my first new build in quite a number of years and my first ever with an AMD chipset.

The build is for a high-ish end workstation and I’m talking up video editing for another project I’m doing.

My fist concern is the CPU/GPU compatibility, CPU is AMD and GPU is Invidia, not AMD, is this a concern or are the two compatible?

Any other thoughts/comments are welcome

Thanks in advance to all

Build Spec.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor (12C/24T) (£359.99)

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler (£106.98)

Motherboard: ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) (£394.99)

GPU: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 6GB (£351.70)

Memory: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz (£67.98)

Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 (£139.99)

Power Supply: Corsair RM550x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 550 Watt (£89.99)

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Solid Black Tower Chassis (£139.99)

Total: £1,651.61

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
What apps are you planning to run on your workstation? You could also go with an Intel Core i7 12700K build that will be better for some applications.

Also, any specific reason for picking that particular motherboard?

My fist concern is the CPU/GPU compatibility, CPU is AMD and GPU is Invidia, not AMD, is this a concern or are the two compatible?
No issues at all.

D

Deveng

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

Apps for the workstation will be usual office suite (word/excel/power-point etc.) along with MS Project, MS Visio and Adobe Pro. Not sure about the video editing as I'm only going to be researching and learning this once the build is completed.

I've went with the AMD chipset as they are still trying to commit to backward compatibility with their chipset/socket arrangement, so if I decide to upgrade the CPU in the future I will not need to update the motherboard/socket arrangement at the same time.

This motherboard showed up near the top on a couple of comparison sites that I looked at for CPU/Motherboard testing sites.

Thanks for the feedback and the confirmation that there is no issue with CPU/GPU compatibility.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I've went with the AMD chipset as they are still trying to commit to backward compatibility with their chipset/socket arrangement, so if I decide to upgrade the CPU in the future I will not need to update the motherboard/socket arrangement at the same time.
The Ryzen 5000 series will be the last CPU series (most likely) on AM4, so it's pretty much the end of the road for the platform at this point.

This motherboard showed up near the top on a couple of comparison sites that I looked at for CPU/Motherboard testing sites.
If you don't need a specific feature on that board, I'd drop down to something in the $200 range.

D

Deveng

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've swapped it out for ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II AMD Ryzen AM4 ATX motherboard

Reactions: Jerry James