• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Almost 60 and attempting my first build!

R

Randy

A little nervous about doing this but I've been doing a lot of reading.
Came accross Alex's video's and articles and found this forum.

That being said, I will be using this build for web design, graphic art,
company and tutorial type videos.
I'll have multiple programs open at once using 3 monitors.

I wont be using any of the top of the line, high end video
software. Just Movavi and Filmora.

I know this is probably more than I need but maybe down the road I'll try Adobe Premiere or Pinnacle Studio.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts you all could give on this build.....Thanks!

CPU: ------------- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:------- Cougar Helor 360 78.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ----- Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: ---------- G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: ---------- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ------- Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB AMP Video Card
Case:-------------- Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: ----- EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: -Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit
Total: $2303.03

xbigcheezx

xbigcheezx

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks like a solid build, I suggest getting your windows license from Kinguin, it is a couple steps to get the key activated, but will save you $70, as they are only about $30 for oem licenses from Nextkeys (they are legit, I use them all the time).

Your power supply is a little bit of overkill, you would be fine with a 550, or a 650

I highly suggest getting a 3070 instead of the 2060. Zotac is dropping 3070s on their website zotac.com nightly at 9:41pm eastern, and they last for about 5-6 minutes. It is a race to checkout and snag one, but inventory is slowly improving. I have the 30070 twin edge, which is a nice compact card and should fit fine in your case for $500.

I also suggest maybe getting a smaller nvme primary, like a 1TB, and pairing it with an SSD or pair of traditional hard drives, mirrored for data redundancy and file organization. Keeping your projects on seperate drives from your primary makes life a lot easier when you need to reinstall windows or move to a new machine.

lunatunes

lunatunes

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all that.
Great tip on the windows license....I'll use that :)
I would rather have a 3070 but they were too expensive. I'll see if I can snag one from Zotac.

I dont understand the whole pairing hard drives thing but I see that most everyone is doing that.
I'll do a search on google and learn about that?
Is there a particular phrase to put in the search engine for what your talking about?

Thanks again Bigcheez, I so appreciate you taking the time to help me out :)

Randy

xbigcheezx

xbigcheezx

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the 3070, if you buy it on ebay, from a scalper, it is too expensive. If you buy it from newegg or zotac directly, it is $499. The problem is inventory, because of the new pricing, and the dramatic increase in performance, there is a major run on them right now, so you have to fight to get one when they 'drop' (become available for sale on those sites). They are selling out in minutes, and have been for two months. Your best bet is store.zotac.com at 9:41pm eastern every night, which is when they release their daily available units from their California warehouse. If you don't snag one, try again the next day. It helps to set up an account on their site in advance so you are logged in, and have a paypal account setup and ready as they only take paypal. The first to the end of the checkout process gets the cards, and it has been this way for months.

Pairing drives means you buy two identical drives, usually traditional hard drives, and you mirror them, typically using software RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) within windows. Search for RAID 1 Setup using Windows, and you will find many youtube videos. The two drives are seen as one, and when you write to the 'drive', it is stored identically on both physical hard drives. If a drive fails, you have a complete mirror copy of it, which is step 1 in data storage redundancy. There are many other methods for data servers and the like, but for home use, RAID 1 is the easiest, safest, and cheapest as it only requires two identical hard drives.

xbigcheezx

xbigcheezx

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, you don't NEED to have a RAID set of pair drives, it's just a good practice in the professional world where our data is our livelihood. A 1TB NVME with a regular, cheaper SSD would work too, you just want to keep your projects, files, videos and stuff on a separate drive when possible.

Also, since this is your first time doing a build, see if you can find a young nerd that has build one before to assist with the build, it can be a bit nerve wracking the first time.

Good Luck!