• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

AMD- USB disconnection issue on 500-series motherboards?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
As if availability issue was not enough now I have to worry about ending with a dud workstation if I get my hand on the parts???
Are any of you facing these issues? Looks like no MOBO is truly safe?

AMD seeks help to solve the USB disconnection issue on 500-series motherboards

Thanks!
Yeah, I saw this too but I have to say it surprised me. I've been using an X570 for a year now and have had no issues (yet). I would immediately notice because I almost always use up ALL my rear USB ports with all sorts of audio paraphernalia and external SSDs. Any of them disconnecting would be noticeable. From what I read, it seems to be more prevalent when VR is connected? If that's the case, I wouldn't know because I don't own a VR device.

@Alex Glawion how's your experience been?

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I read, it seems to be more prevalent when VR is connected? If that's the case, I wouldn't know because I don't own a VR device.

VR seems to be the easiest way to recreate the issue, but normal non VR use causes it too. For example PCIe 4 GPUs, M.2 drives, Web Cams, Screen share etc.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
VR seems to be the easiest way to recreate the issue, but normal non VR use causes it too. For example PCIe 4 GPUs, M.2 drives, Web Cams, Screen share etc.
Well, that's weird. I have a PCI-E 4.0 GPU, multiple M.2 NVMe (Gen 3) drives, and a webcam. I'm also using 2 monitors and have to regularly share my screen during work calls. Can't say I have noticed any disconnects at all with either of my systems 🤷‍♂️ Not too sure how to try recreating this. I'll dig around and check

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, that's weird. I have a PCI-E 4.0 GPU, multiple M.2 NVMe (Gen 3) drives, and a webcam. I'm also using 2 monitors and have to regularly share my screen during work calls. Can't say I have noticed any disconnects at all with either of my systems 🤷‍♂️ Not too sure how to try recreating this. I'll dig around and check
Not sure but I think the M.2 needs to be Gen 4 to saturate the lane. Either way if you don't have the issue then count yourself lucky. The thread has 1700 posts by now. I hope it is not as widespread as people are suggesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lnmet0