• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Are this specs good for Design + Motion?

F

Fred

Hi,

Looking for a laptop able to handle both gaming and motion/design (After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc).

Victus by HP 16.1'.

- AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Octa-Core, 3.20 GHz
- 16 Gb Ram DDR4 3200MHz
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
- 512GB SSD

1199€.

Can someone clarify if this laptop fills the requirements to easily work on softwares like After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, etc etc?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for a laptop able to handle both gaming and motion/design (After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc).

Victus by HP 16.1'.

- AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Octa-Core, 3.20 GHz
- 16 Gb Ram DDR4 3200MHz
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
- 512GB SSD

1199€.

Can someone clarify if this laptop fills the requirements to easily work on softwares like After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, etc etc?

Thanks in advance.
Yep, hardware-wise that's a good pick. No issues :) For After Effects, you may need some more RAM but you should be able to add another stick of memory if needed so no problems there either.

F

Fred

Hi Jerry, thanks for your reply.

As i assumed, maybe a 32gb of RAM would be much better and already asked to the shop and it is NOT updatable.

What is your opinion, using the laptop just as it is, for After Effects (example)?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jerry, thanks for your reply.

As i assumed, maybe a 32gb of RAM would be much better and already asked to the shop and it is NOT updatable.

What is your opinion, using the laptop just as it is, for After Effects (example)?
HP support seems to have a tutorial about how to do so here -
The shop probably means that it doesn't have a 'free' slot where you can just add another memory module. But you should be able to replace both modules if you do need to do so without too much of a hassle :)

F

Fred

Hi,

Ok got it, thanks for the help.
Just in case that i actually do not change the RAM, whats your opinion on After Effects under that hardware-wise and with the 16gb RAM?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok got it, thanks for the help.
Just in case that i actually do not change the RAM, whats your opinion on After Effects under that hardware-wise and with the 16gb RAM?
Completely depends on what kind of projects you handle. I know a few professionals who absolutely cannot manage with 16GB, while some do, so it varies. Our recommendation for After Effects is generally 32GB though. I'd say get it, use it for a few days with 16 gigs and then decide? Not too much to lose either way.

S

SteveH

Tech Intern
Reaction score
I'm surprised several "Pro" systems offer a standard 16GB of RAM.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised several "Pro" systems offer a standard 16GB of RAM.
Sadly this is an upsell tactic. Marketing needs you to say - offering workstations starting 'only $1999!'
But in most cases, that base tier is near unusable for Pro work.