• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Asus Rog G752VS OC NVME Slow Speed

U

user321

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The story:

At first I had sm961 256GB which was fast enough ( I mean boot time was very short and loading of game was good enough) but after 2 years of using it started slow booting of windows10 and when I checked the health status of ssd it was 96% and 13.5TB writes which is not so bad but despite of this I changed to 970pro (new) which has much more speed and endurance.

The problem:

My laptop Asus Rog G752VS OC Edition with 970pro 512gb boots very slowly (even shutdown/restart process is long) the time it needs to boot windows 10/11 is 23 seconds.I tried fresh install of windows 10/11 with different versions of OS,drivers,nvme drivers,bios (moded also),RAM modules and quantities (1 slot,2 slots,3 slots,4 slots) and also tried different nvme ssd models but with no luck.Also I did crystaldiskmark test and got the result 970pro provides at maximum speed.Checked with AIDA64 software as well and got maximum speed.Also when I checked pcie controller speeds it showed pcie 2.0 speed at x4 bandwidth which I don't know is current speed when I don't use it or maximum negotiated speed (maybe it's current speed because read/write test shows 3500MB/2300MB).I checked specs with hwinfo64 as well and got x4 8GT/s which is equal to PCIe 3.0 4x (4x985MB/s) that is the speed 970pro can transfer (laptop supports pcie3.0 x4 as well) at maximum load (PCIe 3.0 4x) but despite of this windows 10 boots very slowly.

Also I have to mention that when I press power button the laptop turns on then off and then turns on again and starts booting .The whole process takes as a minimum 23 seconds to complete.

The same goes for 960PRO 512GB.
Also I contacted Asus support center and they told me that 970PRO and 960PRO were compatible to my laptop but I think compatibility goes for PCIe 3.0 x4.Both laptop and ssd can work at PCIe 3.0 x4 speed but only after Windows boots and not during booting process.

My laptop specifications:

Laptop-Asus Rog G752VS OC Edition

CPU-i7 7820HK

GPU-GTX1070 8GB

Storage1-970PRO 512GB (new)

Storage2-860EVO 1TB SATA

RAM-48GB DDR4 2400MHz

Powersupply-230W

Battery-in perfect condition

Thermals-in perfect condition

Bios version-305

Attachments

• 970pro aida64 bench.PNG
    970pro aida64 bench.PNG
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 970pro benchmark 5x.PNG
    970pro benchmark 5x.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
  • asus hwinfo64.PNG
    asus hwinfo64.PNG
    171 KB · Views: 0
  • chipset aida64.PNG
    chipset aida64.PNG
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a puzzler. Boot time is something that hasn't changed too much during the course of using my laptop for the past 4-5 years.
The only thing I can think of is boot device priority. Check if your laptop's trying to boot off your HDD first before going to SSD in your BIOS (continually mash the Del key when starting up). Look for boot device priority.

U

user321

Tech Intern
Reaction score
This is a puzzler. Boot time is something that hasn't changed too much during the course of using my laptop for the past 4-5 years.
The only thing I can think of is boot device priority. Check if your laptop's trying to boot off your HDD first before going to SSD in your BIOS (continually mash the Del key when starting up). Look for boot device priority.
First of all,thank you for your time.
Boot device priority is in order.
At first place is Windows UEFI boot manager.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all,thank you for your time.
Boot device priority is in order.
At first place is Windows UEFI boot manager.
Strange indeed. Try running sfc /scannow in command prompt (open as administrator).

U

user321

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Strange indeed. Try running sfc /scannow in command prompt (open as administrator).
I tried system file check command but nothing happened.