• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Best build for 3DS Max rendering and modelling. Thank you.

M

mikimendiri

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey hope you are well. Could you help me recommend a build best for my workflow. I use 3DS max with Corona Renderer. Mostly still Image rendering. Most time is spent on modelling, and after decent time on checking the render and doing iterations. Currently for 5k resolution I spend anywhere between 7-9 hrs of render time. I wish to improve this without the cost of active viewport modelling speed cost. I've narrowed it down to few options. Would you recommend Ryzen 9 5950x, or Threadripper 3960x or Threadripper pro 3975wx ( Would consider splurging on this if the performance/render is significantly better). I'm also learning Marvellous designer and Unreal engine, and I assume a good GPU would benefit. So would be looking to get the latest 3090 GPU.

I can salvage 64 gb rams and 2x1tb M2. hardrive from my current build. And willing to spend 3-5k on this new build. Would it be sufficient?

Thank you so much. I hope you have a great day, and looking forward to hearing from you.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey hope you are well. Could you help me recommend a build best for my workflow. I use 3DS max with Corona Renderer. Mostly still Image rendering. Most time is spent on modelling, and after decent time on checking the render and doing iterations. Currently for 5k resolution I spend anywhere between 7-9 hrs of render time. I wish to improve this without the cost of active viewport modelling speed cost. I've narrowed it down to few options. Would you recommend Ryzen 9 5950x, or Threadripper 3960x or Threadripper pro 3975wx ( Would consider splurging on this if the performance/render is significantly better). I'm also learning Marvellous designer and Unreal engine, and I assume a good GPU would benefit. So would be looking to get the latest 3090 GPU.

I can salvage 64 gb rams and 2x1tb M2. hardrive from my current build. And willing to spend 3-5k on this new build. Would it be sufficient?

Thank you so much. I hope you have a great day, and looking forward to hearing from you.

What hardware are you using now? It'll give me a better idea of what kind of upgrades would make most sense :) You can always use our PC builder to generate a baseline build for your workload.

So would be looking to get the latest 3090 GPU.
Probably not a great time to splurge on a GPU unless absolutely unavoidable as Nvidia is going to announce its RTX 4000 cards before the year ends. If you can hold off for some months, you could get more performance at around the same price.

M

mikimendiri

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey thanks Jerry. I currently run:

3600x
5700xt
64gb 3600hz rams
1tb m.2 nvme and 512gb ssd
850 psu power.

4000 sounds nice- Hopefully scalpers don't ruin it again :p.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully scalpers don't ruin it again :p
🤞🤞🤞

Hey thanks Jerry. I currently run:

3600x
5700xt
64gb 3600hz rams
1tb m.2 nvme and 512gb ssd
850 psu power.
In that case any upgrade path would be a performance gain for you. I'd recommend a Threadripper 5000 workstation tbh, as it fits your workload quite perfectly. The only issue is that those parts are only available in prebuilts. That said, you would give up some viewport performance compared to a Ryzen 9 5950X though.

I'd go with a Ryzen 9 5950X build for excellent value or a Threadripper 5000 workstation if budget isn't too big an issue and you want the best.

M

mikimendiri

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thank you :D Would the viewport speed be vastly different from 5950x to thread ripper 5000 series? In comparison to my 3600x- my guess 5950x is probably 100 percent faster. In the same ratio scale, the thread ripper would be 50 percent faster? or slower. Also for GPU im only familiar with the gaming ones and not the other realm like quadro or all those fancy confusing words. Which would you suggest.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you :D Would the viewport speed be vastly different from 5950x to thread ripper 5000 series? In comparison to my 3600x- my guess 5950x is probably 100 percent faster. In the same ratio scale, the thread ripper would be 50 percent faster? or slower. Also for GPU im only familiar with the gaming ones and not the other realm like quadro or all those fancy confusing words. Which would you suggest.
You can find Viewport benchmarks for popular CPUs here - https://www.cgdirector.com/cinema-4d-viewport-performance-benchmark-scores

Threadripper 5000 would offer slightly better viewport performance than your current CPU because they're PRO series CPUs. So, AMD doesn't
go all out on clock speeds to ensure stability :)

Somewhere between a Ryzen 9 5950X and your Ryzen 5 3600X.

However, CPU rendering performance will be far far better on either Threadripper or the Ryzen 9.

M

mikimendiri

Tech Intern
Reaction score
You can find Viewport benchmarks for popular CPUs here - https://www.cgdirector.com/cinema-4d-viewport-performance-benchmark-scores

Threadripper 5000 would offer slightly better viewport performance than your current CPU because they're PRO series CPUs. So, AMD doesn't
go all out on clock speeds to ensure stability :)

Somewhere between a Ryzen 9 5950X and your Ryzen 5 3600X.

However, CPU rendering performance will be far far better on either Threadripper or the Ryzen 9.
Thank you. I checked the benchmark. Couldn't find the new 5000 threadripper. Im suprised however seeing 3600x beating threadrippers in viewport score. I suppose I would priotise smoother viewport over few minutes of render wait time xD. 5950x would probably render x5 speed than my 3600x so would still be fast render.

What do you suggest for the GPU. I'm only familiar with gaming GPUs. And not the unknown territory of Quadro and others which I'm not familiar with. I have budget of 3-4k with few parts available for salvage e.g. 64gb rams ,PSU and M2 storage memory.

Thanks
SUROJ.