• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Best workstation MOBO for dual GPUs + 5950x?

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is the best solid & reliable workstation usage X570 MOBO for dual GPU setup using Ryzen 5950x? I will start with one GPU then add another in the future! From the replies here it seems- MSI MEG X570 UNIFY?

Is ASUS Rog Strix X570-E, better or similar for dual GPU setup? Any other Asus models?

Thank you!

SequelZero

SequelZero

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
ASUS WS PRO ACE X570
I have this one with the same idea as yours. It has some exciting workstation functions: remote startup with the pc off, heatsinks, no costs for rgb, u2 ports.. check the specs on the official website, you might like it. You won't find lots and lots of reviews because it is more oriented to professional use than gaming. Ah... most importantly, seems done exactly for a multi gpu support.

Reactions: Ronin
I

Ivan Lüthi

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Ronin

I made a similar setup for C4D/Redshift - heavy simulations & GPU rendering. CG Director already commented on my PC-parts. The link below could maybe answer some of your questions:

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
ASUS WS PRO ACE X570 and the Asus Strix have dual lan inputs, unlike the MSI with single input. The W-ProS has 1G LAN only though, while the Strix has 2.5G LAN. I think all the 3 mentioned can handle multiple GPUs similarly?

Yes Ivan, I had read that thread already ;-) Everything is so hard to get hold of currently!

Reactions: Ivan Lüthi
SequelZero

SequelZero

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I believe that if you limit yourself to two GPU both asus ws pro and msi meg unify are good options.
You should take the ones with the features that you like the most.

The asus ws pro has multi gpu support, meaning that can run 2 gpu in 16x 8x like the other you mentioned or 3 gpu in 8x 8x 8x mode and use all the cudacores available. (check asus website for more specifications)

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that if you limit yourself to two GPU both asus ws pro and msi meg unify are good options.
You should take the ones with the features that you like the most.

The asus ws pro has multi gpu support, meaning that can run 2 gpu in 16x 8x like the other you mentioned or 3 gpu in 8x 8x 8x mode and use all the cudacores available. (check asus website for more specifications)
Can't the Strix do 3 GPUs in 8x 8x 8x too? It will depend on availability but as a non gamer the WS look very appealing, it lacks USB-C though and some of the cons in the ratings-

Strix.PNGWS.PNG

Reactions: SequelZero
SequelZero

SequelZero

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Can't the Strix do 3 GPUs in 8x 8x 8x too?
Maybe someone more expert can confirm this or not, but I think the multi-gpu feature of the strix refers to sli or crossfire, for which you need the exertion HW bridge and possibly two cards of the same manufacture. The 3 way multi gpu of the ws pro instead means you just put up to three cards and they will be split in 8x for each lane. In this way you can throw in an older card (when needed for rendering only) and add the cudacores at the cost of memory if I am not wrong.

It will depend on availability but as a non gamer the WS look very appealing,
Another thing is the ecc memory support, in case in the future you want to convert it to a mini server or similar.
I have read in one review you posted that a guy used the 3 way with a raid controller

it lacks USB-C though
There is a USB c is the small connector on top of the image under USB 3.2, they didn't specify it is type c in the chart but it is there.

and some of the cons in the ratings-
I understand you, I have finished my build last month and as a friendly suggestion, I can say that you will ALWAYS find some negative in every opinion, even when it does not make sense or it is something more case-specific.

For example the review about the bios.. I had a similar problem because I messed up with the setting at the first boot and it wasn't working anymore, I had to reset the bios again and it worked fine. I have used the included SW to update the bios and of course, it didn't work, but the best practice is to use the USB and the bios panel to make an update, not bu using the OS.
I can't really blame the board for these two things.

The advice is: You have to think about your system and what do you want to achieve, then ask yourself: can this do the job? If yes don't stress yourself too much with the other as good 10 options or with the bad opinions you might find.
Then as you said, price and availability for a consumer (or prosumer) are important factors.

SequelZero

SequelZero

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Can't the Strix do 3 GPUs in 8x 8x 8x too? It will depend on availability but as a non gamer the WS look very appealing, it lacks USB-C though and some of the cons in the ratings-

View attachment 47View attachment 48

I found this at a reduced price surfing in the wrong amazon site

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe someone more expert can confirm this or not, but I think the multi-gpu feature of the strix refers to sli or crossfire, for which you need the exertion HW bridge and possibly two cards of the same manufacture. The 3 way multi gpu of the ws pro instead means you just put up to three cards and they will be split in 8x for each lane.
Not exactly. The Strix basically offers PCIe 3.0 x8 speeds on the last slot, while the WS Pro offers PCIe 4.0 x8 speeds (making this slot's bandwidth double) on its last slot. However, the way you can use them for GPU rendering won't change. No need for an SLI bridge, or even SLI support for that matter.

Another thing is the ecc memory support, in case in the future you want to convert it to a mini server or similar.
That Strix board also offers ECC memory support as it's basically a Ryzen feature that's left to motherboard manufacturers to implement. Even many lower-end boards have ECC support :)

The advice is: You have to think about your system and what do you want to achieve, then ask yourself: can this do the job? If yes don't stress yourself too much with the other as good 10 options or with the bad opinions you might find.
I agree! We just need good tools to get the job done at a price point we can justify.

Reactions: SequelZero
SequelZero

SequelZero

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Not exactly. The Strix basically offers PCIe 3.0 x8 speeds on the last slot, while the WS Pro offers PCIe 4.0 x8 speeds (making this slot's bandwidth double) on its last slot. However, the way you can use them for GPU rendering won't change. No need for an SLI bridge, or even SLI support for that matter.

That Strix board also offers ECC memory support as it's basically a Ryzen feature that's left to motherboard manufacturers to implement. Even many lower-end boards have ECC support :)

I agree! We just need good tools to get the job done at a price point we can justify.
(y)

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry James, if money was not the main factor, quality and reliability was, then which 2GPU supporting MOBO would you pick for Ryzen 5950x?
I am not a gamer, just a 3d artist.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry James, if money was not the main factor, quality and reliability was, then which 2GPU supporting MOBO would you pick for Ryzen 5950x?
I am not a gamer, just a 3d artist.
From a quality and reliability perspective, most options at and above the $300 will be the best you can get. If you're just running two GPUs, I wouldn't sweat the PCI-E lanes that much because Ryzen has PCI-E 4.0 lanes. Basically, even an x4 PCI-E slot won't bottleneck any PCI-E 4.0 GPUs for at least this and the next generation of graphics cards.

If I was shopping now, I'd pick the MSI X570 Unify as I like the balance of features and performance it brings to the table. @Alex Glawion went for the Prestige X570 Creation for his workstation, iirc.

You only need to seriously consider PCI-E lanes if you want to run 3-GPU setups and your scenes are so big that they won't fit into your VRAM. If scenes are that large, it puts a lot of load on your PCI-E bus as data needs to swapped in and out and the lack of enough lanes will bottleneck you. Another use case is running lots of high-speed PCI-E 4.0 storage using add-in cards.

That's mostly where professional graphics cards (Quadros, etc.) and HEDT platforms come into the picture. However, you can get away with something like the ASUS WS on the mainstream platform for those who want the single-core performance of the newer Ryzen processors and also want to add multiple GPUs to their system (now or later down the line).

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't get hold of 5950x or Power Supply or obviously GPU!!!! What a joke! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't get hold of 5950x or Power Supply or obviously GPU!!!! What a joke! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeeeah, mate. That's the story everywhere apparently. One of my friends managed to get his hands on a reasonably-priced Ryzen 9 5900X by bugging local retailers. You should try doing the same in your region. That's your best bet. We're working on a list of local retailers for major regions too btw, keep an eye out for it this week.

S

String Man

Which is the best solid & reliable workstation usage X570 MOBO for dual GPU setup using Ryzen 5950x? I will start with one GPU then add another in the future! From the replies here it seems- MSI MEG X570 UNIFY?

Is ASUS Rog Strix X570-E, better or similar for dual GPU setup? Any other Asus models?

Thank you!
Definitely not the MSI MEG X570 UNIFY, large GPUS are too close and the top unit will run hot and start limiting performance.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely not the MSI MEG X570 UNIFY, large GPUS are too close and the top unit will run hot and start limiting performance.
Leaving this here for anyone reading this later - If you're not getting blower model GPUs, then yep, go for triple-spaced PCIe slot motherboards.

T

TallyFeli

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi....Except if you are getting 10GE wired ethernet, there is no critical contrasts between "gaming" motherboards and "workstation" motherboards, for a similar CPU.

Try not to like LEDs - Turn them off. Workstation motherboard.