• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Bottom Line: 5800x vs 5900x for 3d Work?

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
So I've looked through various articles, scanned over the plethora of benchmark scores, and dug into the forums to try and get to the bottom of it...

For general, all around 3D work INCLUDING intensive viewport procedures (including VFX such as particle systems, i.e. Bifrost, Xgen and the like in Maya), After Effects, video editing, and of course the usual large scenes within the 3D software
--If I am planning on eventually purchasing an RTX 3080, will the difference between a Ryzen 7 5800x and a Ryzen 9 5900x really be that apparent to me?

I can purchase the 5800x for 450$ where I live, or I can wait a couple of weeks and for sure get my hands on a 5900x for 550$.

The Q is, is it worth the price and the wait? I couldn't figure it out from all that I've read, and would love a bit of assistance here, since all of my extensive research into my long-time investment (I'm hoping it'll last me a decade or so) comes down to these two processors.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
--If I am planning on eventually purchasing an RTX 3080, will the difference between a Ryzen 7 5800x and a Ryzen 9 5900x really be that apparent to me?
In most cases when we're talking active workstation work, no. 8 cores should work just as fine as 12. However, particle-heavy systems like Bifrost and Xgen should theoretically be friendlier towards additional CPU cores. Since I haven't tested them out myself yet, I researched them a little and chanced upon a forum discussion that was focused on the effect of CPU core count on Bifrost Aero.

1613578944833.png

1613578923056.png

1613578979106.png

1613578994273.png

As you can see from these benchmark runs, the performance does seem to scale with the number of cores all the way up to a 32-core Threadripper.
You can expect right around a 10-15% performance dip for this specific workload when going with a 5800X over a 5900X.

My two cents: Wait and get a 5900X if at all possible.

Reactions: YossiS
Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Based on your response here and on my other thread, I will definitely get my hands on the 5900x.

All around, seems like the best bang for the buck, especially when investing for the next few years. All the talk about the CPU isn't for nothing, for sure, and I now feel comfortable with that investment. Thank you for all the input and advice!

I looked at some recommended CPU fans from other threads, and regarding the motherboard (there are so many of them...@_@) I'll ask them at Microcenter which they would recommend for my build (including the 3080 for when the time comes...)

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will definitely get my hands on the 5900x.

Or 5950x? :)
Don't know what the future holds and when I will be able to upgrade again, so I am going all out for 5950x. Only problem is that neither 5900x nor 5950x are available!!!! :)

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Where I live, the 5900x is available @ Microcenter, they bring in new stock regularly.

5950x is definitely more worth it, but it's a ridiculous price increase for relatively less performance, thus making it bad value...

As it were the 5900x is a bit over my budget, but I'm willing to put in some more cash to get something worthy.