• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Choosing the best motherboard for new build with AMD 5900X

A

Adam Czajka

I'm new to content creation, have a semi-decent understanding of building computers, and looking to build a pc for mainly Premiere Pro, After Effects and Cinema 4D.

My current pc is very old, and for now I plan to buy all the components on my list except the GPU. This will improve my workflow massively and in time I intend to purchase the GPU, possibly more ram etc. But for now I need to make sure I buy an appropriate motherboard with my future build in mind.

As I'm fairly new to content creation I'm not entirely sure if I will need this, but if 2 GPU's would make big differences to my render times, I'd like this to be an option down the line as I want to get into more high-end work using Octane/Redshift etc.

My component list so far:

Processor - AMD 5900X
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15
RAM - Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 64GB (2 x 32GB) 3200MHz Kit [a possible further 64Gb further down the line]
GPU -
Nvidia RTX 3070 [possibly two down the line, I should also mention I do have a current old Nvidia card which will go in for now]

Storage - Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nmve 1Tb [I have two normal solid states I'll be transferring from my current pc]
Power - Corsair 1000 W
Motherboard - ?
Case -
Will use my current one suitable for ATX form factors.

I'm aware that the motherboard vrm's should better if possible for your CPU, and have read your motherboard article. I'm happy to spend up to £300 if it's worth it. But what I'm not sure about, is how inferior a board like the X570 Aorus Pro actually is for my desired setup? As it supplies me two decent slots for my potential GPU upgrades, enough RAM space etc. For a processor like the 5900X should I really be looking at better motherboards to actually fully utilize such a high-end CPU? I also somewhat confusingly see articles suggesting more recent B550 models are competition to X570 models at the price range I'm looking at?

Many thanks for your time,

Adam

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
My go-to recommendation for a high-end CPU part paired with a multi-GPU setup is the ASUS Pro WS X570 Ace (Link) and MSI's X570 Unify. Edit: The X570 Aorus Pro is also a decent pick for sure. Just the lack of a 3rd M.2 at that price point is a bummer.

As for what you gain with that extra money, it's the ability to add additional storage and/or GPUs without sharing PCI-E bandwidth too much. It increases how much longer you can keep your system and only rely on swap-out upgrades without giving up any performance or extensibility.

But if you're more prone to upgrading more often (like I am), I recommend buying only what you need right now. In these cases, an MSI X570 Tomahawk / ASUS X570 TUF, etc. type picks make a lot of sense. You won't give up anything now, and you won't own it long enough for any drawbacks to matter.

As for B550, this section should help - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-b550-motherboards/#B550_vs_X570_How_Much_of_a_Downgrade

Last edited: