• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Confused on which GPU to buy for Generalist work (3D rendering, Editing, After Effects...)

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hey there! I have been helped IMMEASUREABLY by this site in the past when building my PC, and have been sending people here often. So, THANK YOU!

My current setup:
Ryzen 9 5900x
64 gb Ram (currently upgrading from 32)
gtx 1060

Regarding the GPU: A family member offered to upgrade it for me. So I started doing research and am getting very very lost in terms of which GPU to buy. In terms of budget, it shouldn't go overboard...the question is if to look for a 3090 for the cores, or if to get 2 cheaper ones for the same price? Maybe there's another brand that will deliver better for my purposes?

My Uses, in order:
Premiere Pro
After Effects
Maya (3d modeling, VFX, animation)
Photoshop

I've read the various articles but in my desperation to figure out what's the best option to buy ASAP while the "wallet is open", I am losing myself in the details. Any input?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey there! I have been helped IMMEASUREABLY by this site in the past when building my PC, and have been sending people here often. So, THANK YOU!

My current setup:
Ryzen 9 5900x
64 gb Ram (currently upgrading from 32)
gtx 1060

Regarding the GPU: A family member offered to upgrade it for me. So I started doing research and am getting very very lost in terms of which GPU to buy. In terms of budget, it shouldn't go overboard...the question is if to look for a 3090 for the cores, or if to get 2 cheaper ones for the same price? Maybe there's another brand that will deliver better for my purposes?

My Uses, in order:
Premiere Pro
After Effects
Maya (3d modeling, VFX, animation)
Photoshop

I've read the various articles but in my desperation to figure out what's the best option to buy ASAP while the "wallet is open", I am losing myself in the details. Any input?
You won't get much use out of multiple GPUs for those workloads. I'd recommend a single powerful GPU.

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Thank you, that calms me down. I'll go for the 3090 ti because it's the only available one within my price range in my region.

G-d bless you guys!

Reactions: Jerry James