• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Considering a Ryzen Desktop PC Build in September 2022? Read this first!!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
AMD has announced the launch of Ryzen 7000 desktop processors in its August launch event (you can watch it here). Now, there are two things to consider if you're planning a Ryzen 5000 build this month.
  1. The Ryzen 7000 lineup is poised to launch soon (September 26th)
  2. The CPUs are launching on a brand-new AM5 platform
  3. AM5 CPUs are not compatible with AM4 motherboards, and vice versa.
  4. The performance and efficiency improvements look promising (still, wait for our independent coverage of Ryzen 7000 after launch for confirmation)
  5. Intel will also launch its desktop CPUs in a month or so (probably).
With this in mind, we'd urge you to hold off on building a PC for a bit, if at all possible. Wait and see how the new platform + CPUs are priced, and then decide whether you want to build on AM4 or start off with AM5 directly.

Cheers and Happy PC Building, everyone!

PS. If you have any questions or want to discuss the upcoming processors - feel free to do so down below :)

Reactions: Mislene
arb

arb

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello and sorry if this is a wrong place to ask for advice. I just joined here.

If I wanted to get a motherboard NOT for upcoming or newest processors but for something on the Intel Core i7-12700K level for now but to be able to expand later on and switch to these new processors when they become a bit more mature, what motherboard would you recommend?

I am not interested in Wi-Fi , I prefer hard wiring components.

Thank you!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
If I wanted to get a motherboard NOT for upcoming or newest processors but for something on the Intel Core i7-12700K level for now but to be able to expand later on and switch to these new processors when they become a bit more mature, what motherboard would you recommend?
Honestly, I'd just pick a decent Z690 motherboard since they're now cheaper thanks to the launch of Z790 boards. Something like an MSI Z690 Tomahawk, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, or ASUS TUF Z690 Plus should do the trick :)

Reactions: PerterZ and arb
arb

arb

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just pick a decent Z690 motherboard since they're now cheaper thanks to the launch of Z790 boards. Something like an MSI Z690 Tomahawk, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, or ASUS TUF Z690 Plus should do the trick :)
Thank you very much!!!

Reactions: Jerry James
J

Jerry_Jasper

Tech Intern
Reaction score
AMD has announced the launch of Ryzen 7000 desktop processors in its August launch event (you can watch it here). Now, there are two things to consider if you're planning a Ryzen 5000 build this month.
  1. The Ryzen 7000 lineup is poised to launch soon (September 26th)
  2. The CPUs are launching on a brand-new AM5 platform
  3. AM5 CPUs are not compatible with AM4 motherboards, and vice versa.
  4. The performance and efficiency improvements look promising (still, wait for our independent coverage of Ryzen 7000 after launch for confirmation)
  5. Intel will also launch its desktop CPUs in a month or so (probably).
With this in mind, we'd urge you to hold off on building a PC for a bit, if at all possible. Wait and see how the new platform + CPUs are priced, and then decide whether you want to build on AM4 or start off with AM5 directly.

Cheers and Happy PC Building, everyone!

PS. If you have any questions or want to discuss the upcoming processors - feel free to do so down below :)
Considering a build, late this year, take advantage if any sales occur. Read your earlier article and did some upgrades. I am thinking about upgrading your recommendation with a 3090 GPU, double the size of storage and increase the power supply. What do you think about this parts list:

Reactions: Mislene