• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO power switch not working? (I can't turn on my new build)

V

Vera

Finished putting together my first build, took deep breath, switched on PSU, pressed power button on front panel, and...nothing. Argh.

Power button on HAF XB feels limp, and when I check underneath, SW1 feels like it's missing a spring or is broken. When I press SW2 (for headphones) it gives resistance and makes clicking button sound, but SW1 just wobbles in place, no resistance, no click. It doesn't feel like it's pressing anything. Headphone button for SW2 on panel cover has plastic spring while power button has clearance to slide back and forth, no spring, so maybe the switches are activated differently? Is this an issue with the case, or something else entirely? Help!
9ZxCEOV.png

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished putting together my first build, took deep breath, switched on PSU, pressed power button on front panel, and...nothing. Argh.

Power button on HAF XB feels limp, and when I check underneath, SW1 feels like it's missing a spring or is broken. When I press SW2 (for headphones) it gives resistance and makes clicking button sound, but SW1 just wobbles in place, no resistance, no click. It doesn't feel like it's pressing anything. Headphone button for SW2 on panel cover has plastic spring while power button has clearance to slide back and forth, no spring, so maybe the switches are activated differently? Is this an issue with the case, or something else entirely? Help!
9ZxCEOV.png
That's a weird one. Did you try shorting the power pins on the motherboard manually to check? You can usually use a screwdriver to connect the + and - of the PWR_Switch pins to start it up. I'm not familiar with that particular case so this is the only way to check what's happening.

V

Vera

That's a weird one. Did you try shorting the power pins on the motherboard manually to check? You can usually use a screwdriver to connect the + and - of the PWR_Switch pins to start it up. I'm not familiar with that particular case so this is the only way to check what's happening.
This worked, so it turns out the power button really came broken! Thanks for the advice 🙂

Reactions: Jerry James
R

Roland Twyman

I tried shorting out the pins on the motherboard I installed in my HAF XB Lan box. The motherboard is one of the Z97 PRO series by ASUS. Nothing happens. I may have to troubleshoot my power supply by itself. It is an ATX-300-12Z.

Reactions: Jerry James