• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

CPU - MOBO - GPU upgrade

Rein

Rein

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post here on this wonderfull website. Three years ago I made great use of all of it's resources to build a PC. This time I kinda need your help a little bit! :)

Here's my current setup which I would like to update a bit. Mostly because I ran into C4D viewport issues during end of last year.
Most used software: C4D, redshift, AE, Davinci

Goal for the new build is to have a smooth viewport for doing animation and also x-particler simulations. Rendering is secundary since I got access to a remote farm.

Gigabyte X399 Designare EX ATX TR4
AMD Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 TR4
128GB (8 x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 CL16
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHZ 4x16GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHZ 2x16GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHZ 2x16GB
2x NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 8GB - Palit
2x Geforce GTX 1080ti
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD
Corsair HX1200 V2 PSU
Fractal Design Define XL R2

I must admit It's a bit of a weird mixture of different ram and gpu's.
Nonetheless it did the job for a while.

Update: I ran into some RS renderview issues. I took out my 1080ti's just to have RTX cards only which runs smoother.

So far so good.
No comes the question :)

I would like to upgrade to an Intel Core i9 13900k. For that I ask for some help with the following :
- a suitable mobo with wifi
- DDR5 128gb

+ I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade to either 1x 4090 or 2x 4070. (two cards need to fit the mobo in that case. Also when I stick to my 2x 2070's)

I hope this is not too much info and you are still here with me. Any help would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks, Rein

ps. the PC builder tool suggested the Gigabyte Z690 Aero D ATX LGA1700. Unfortunately this one is not for sale in The Netherlands.

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
A single 4090 would be better as it leaves you scope for additional GPUs later.
two cards need to fit the mobo in that case
With these thick cards, multiple GPUs are a bit tricky. One of our users posted a thread here that might be of interest - https://www.cgdirector.com/forum/th...4090-founders-editions-system.1091/#post-4201

I would like to upgrade to an Intel Core i9 13900k. For that I ask for some help with the following :
- a suitable mobo with wifi
- DDR5 128gb
128GB DDR5 is still finicky when it comes to memory frequencies, so you should be ready to do some manual memory tweaking. Just buy two of the DDR5 kit recommended by the PC builder at the $1500 mark.

Grab an MSI Z790 motherboard to pair with that CPU, as most people seem to be having better luck with memory on MSI boards for some reason. Plus, if XMP profiles aren't stable for you, their "memory try it" feature is quite handy to try a few RAM timings to see what you can get stable.