• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

DDR5 RAM problems above 64GB?

avrepublic

avrepublic

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello!

According to a rep from OriginPC, their team has encountered stability issues / problems on newer systems supporting DDR5 ram when exceeding 64GB!

Can anyone elaborate on this or confirm?

My natural tendency is to max out the ram at 128 when building a new work machine, but i have no experience with DDR5 yet or the AM5 platform.

Specifically, I am looking at creating this build:

ASUS PROART X670E CREATOR MOBO
Ryzen 7950X
Nvidia 4090 GeForce
+(128GB DDR5?)

thank you!!!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on this or confirm?
Yes it is a problem. Here's an excerpt from an article that we'll be publishing soon:

That said, hitting this 6000 MT/s overclock without introducing an element of instability is a whole other discussion. AMD’s new memory controller (and Intel as well to an extent) is still finnicky to say the least and you’ll have a hard time going above DDR5-5600 for high-density memory kits (> 2*16GB).

It really boils down to your luck, what motherboard you’re using, and your luck. That’s it.

Did I mention luck?

I decided to spend a couple of days testing memory, and here are some notes:

• Many of my kits refused to POST past the DDR5-6000 mark using their XMP (eXPO?) profiles.
  • Several of my kits refused to POST at the DDR5-6000 mark with their eXPO profiles. Although a bit of tinkering with the timings did finally get most of them to boot, I wouldn’t trust that overclock in a workstation setting.
  • Going above DDR5-6400 was nearly impossible. I wouldn’t even hope your kit will work without a lot of tinkering. Neither of my DDR5-7200 kits could POST at their rated speeds. Plus, the performance gains aren’t worth it on AMD, so most people shouldn’t even bother in the first place.
  • High-density memory will likely remain a major headache until DDR5 matures. Using 4 sticks was basically a death sentence for even the best DDR5-6000 kits, which then refused to boot past DDR5-5600. I guess it’s probably why 4*32GB DDR5 kits aren’t really a thing yet. If you want higher capacities, I'd recommend sticking to JEDEC speeds for now.
  • I had the best results with Kingston Fury Beast and G.Skill Flare X5 memory kits with AMD. But your mileage may vary because my sample size is fairly minuscule from a testing POV.

avrepublic

avrepublic

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
So what does that mean for people with the system specs above / or similar AM5 builds? Upgrading to 128 will eventually be possible?

According to AMD, the 7950X "can use up to 128 GB memory" but i don't know what kind of system they are referencing with that claim.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
According to AMD, the 7950X "can use up to 128 GB memory" but i don't know what kind of system they are referencing with that claim.
Oh you won't have any issues if you just want to run at base spec speeds. Here they are:

1682554551885.png
You just can't hope to get at the sweet spot speeds of DDR5-6000 with Ryzen 7000. But 128GB works fine when it's relatively slow. Only when you try to push speeds, it kinda loses the plot.