• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

DIY PC for Interior Architecture Student

T

Thomas N

Hi everyone, first of all thank you for all the specific categories that you guys have made a PC built for, looking for advices for a CAD build is difficult and not a lot of website that offers that knowledge.

I'm building a custom PC for my girlfriend, the scope is not only strong enough for her last 1.5 year of Uni as she's on a Mac, but also will give her some juice at least 2 years postgraduate in the industry so she won't have to upgrade as soon as she graduates. I don't know much about interior architecture workload so I have 0 ideas how it will work out. She uses Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. And she might look into others such as Lumion, SketchUp if the industry demands.

The budget is $3000 AUD, here is my, I think, overkill build that should cover the scope:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 VISION D-P ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
OS drive: Western Digital SN750 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
~$2122AUD in total and that is without a graphics card and a monitor

Given her not playing much game and mostly active work with CPU rendering in most apps, I'm thinking getting her a 3060 but that is a very tight point as 3060 usually go for ~900-1k AUD in my place. I honestly think that the build is a bit over the top, but she wants some aesthetic and I just want to cover all her needs and make sure I utilise that 5900x to its best. However, if I need to scale down anything please let me know.

I have some current ideas of scaling down the CPU to 5800x or 11700k as the i7 clocks higher and I don't know if her workloads will ever utilise the 12 core compares with cheaper 8 cores out of the gate. but who knows, I don't know much so I'm looking forward to your advices.

T

Thomas N

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Sorry, should I have signed up first before I post. Let me know if I need to change anything :D Otherwise do I need to scale down on the build

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, you can't really go wrong with any of those parts. I'd probably pick those exact same parts for a high-performance workstation that needs to last me at least 2-3 years too.

I have some current ideas of scaling down the CPU to 5800x or 11700k as the i7 clocks higher and I don't know if her workloads will ever utilise the 12 core compares with cheaper 8 cores out of the gate. but who knows, I don't know much so I'm looking forward to your advices.
Well, the 12-core Ryzen 5900X currently offers the best value for multi-threaded workloads. Most applications that you listed will offer marginally better performance with the 12-core part, but dropping down to an 8-core won't hamper anything in a noticeable way. Depends on your budget.

Reactions: Thomas N