• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Dual GPU Question

J

jacobprince123

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello,

Love the forum, long time reader.
I recently built a PC with the Asus PRIME X570-P Motherboard. It has two PCIe 4.0 16x slots.
According to this link (https://www.anandtech.com/show/14161/the-amd-x570-motherboard-overview/21)

On the main features, the ASUS Prime X570-P has two full-length PCIe 4.0 slots which operate at x16 and x16/x4. This is because the Ryzen 3000 series processors feed the top slot, while the bottom full-length slot lanes come directly from the X570 chipset. This means there is support for two-way AMD CrossFire multi-graphics card configurations, but none for NVIDIA SLI.

My question is -is it possible for me to run dual GPU on this mobo for the purpose of GPU rendering (Redshift)? I understand that Redshift does not use SLI, simply uses the two GPU's independently. By the way the lower PCIe slot is plastic only not supported with metal. I currently have 1 2070 super and can get another cheaply.

Thanks for your help!
Jacob

Reactions: aurangzeb
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, you should be able to - especially if you're running a GPU that won't be throttled by the PCI-E 3.0 x4 bandwidth. Another 2070 Super should pose no problem at all. You could also upgrade to PCI-E 4.0 GPUs like the 3080 without giving up any render performance.

Reactions: aurangzeb
J

jacobprince123

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Great news! Thanks!

Reactions: Jerry James