• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

eGPU vs. new workstation

M

Moe

Hi, I couldn't find a thread with this specific question so I decided to start a new one. Please point me in the right direction if that is not correct.

I would like to know whether my laptop and use case is suitable to be boosted by an eGPU enclosure or not. I currently have an XPS 9750 with an i7-8750H, 16GB Ram and a GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q. I rarely use the built-in screen. And yes there is a Thunderbolt jack. I need to do more rendering in the future which uses GPU (Keyshot) but I also could use a bit more single-core performance for Rhino 7 since it can only utilize one core for geometry calculations.

The question is: What would do a better job, a new workstation for 4k or an eGPU (maybe with an extra CPU) + my current laptop for less?

Cheers, Moritz

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
The question is: What would do a better job, a new workstation for 4k or an eGPU (maybe with an extra CPU) + my current laptop for less?
If it's professional work for clients, I'd go workstation tbh. That i7 CPU is aging now and even an eGPU won't be enough to bolster it for much longer. The whole external GPU paraphernalia might turn out to be a bad investment in a year or so, but a workstation you build now will remain solid for several years without issue and will also outperform an eGPU setup right away.

M

Moe

Alright, thanks. Just got a ram issue with my laptop so I guess it's time for a new one.
Cheers

Reactions: Jerry James