• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Entering the prosumer workstation era

IAmDon

IAmDon

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello there, thanks you for the very helpful conversation I'm reading here !
I'm building my first Workstation build and I'm struggling a bit with my choice of CPU/GPU combo.

I work in VFX using mainly Blender/Fusion and I plan on going full Houdini soon, and am still on the fence regarding a dedicated render engine. With that in mind, I made a specs list and got to work, with the new stuff coming out these last few weeks :

[CPU : Ryzen 9 5950X/Ryzen 9 5900X]
RAM : 2x32GB Corsair LPX 3200
Mobo : X570 Tomahawk Wifi
Cooling : Noctua NH-D15
[GPU : RTX 3080/RTX 2080 Super)]
PSU : Corsair RM850x
Case : My old one which fits everything I throw in it

I put in brackets what I consider changing in my build. I'm considering the 2080 super because I'm being offered a deal on it for 500 bucks and because where I live the 3080 is around 850)

I would love some feedback on GPU and CPU for my specific needs. Would my workload benefit from the 4 more cores if I decide to go the 3080 route and use a GPU render engine ? Would a 2080 super/5950X combo cut it until I can get my hands on a meaningful GPU upgrade then ?

Thanks again and have a great day !

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great to me! The RTX 2080 Super seems like a good deal in your region, and unless you can land an RTX 3070 at the same price, won't get a better deal. If it's an option, you could try hunting for a Founders Edition RTX 3070 for that $500 price, but it seems pretty non-existent at this point from what I'm seeing online.

As for the CPU, you should be good with either product and it depends whether you want the best available option right now. If there's a possibility that you might want to use your machine for some CPU rendering, the 5950X doesn't seem to have a competitor at the moment. You could always drop-in upgrade from a Ryzen 9 5900X to a 5950X easily if you do feel the need for more cores down the line.

PS. What are you paying for that memory kit? Could you check prices for Patriot Viper and G.Skill Ripjaws before you pull the plug (assuming you're not using a kit from an old build)?

IAmDon

IAmDon

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Interesting, I was also thinking about a 2060 for 400 and to wait some time before upgrading but from what you’re saying I gather that a 2080 super should hold strong for some time.

Good to hear that 5950x might not be a definite must have right now for my workload.

2x32GB from corsair is around 240 and GSkill is 280-290 for same specs and can’t find same specs nor higher than 32GB in Patriot.

( Based in Switzerland. Just realized those price might sound skewed i)

Reactions: Jerry James