• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Expert Opinion on my First PC build

B

BigDummy9000

Tech Intern
Reaction score
CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6NAX7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($462.82)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC ATX AM4 ($199.99)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - Asus Dual ($699.90)
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 C16 ($139.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB M.2 Solid State Drive ($112.09)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series RM650x 650W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($165.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.99)
Total: $1975.68

I entered these parts into pcpartpicker.com and the price dropped to $1650ish.
It also said that if the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
Does this mean I should look for a different motherboard, or is upgrading the BIOS not a big deal?
I am planning on doing a lot of work in blender, so any thoughts about downgrading a certain part or upgrading another would be awesome as well.
Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this mean I should look for a different motherboard, or is upgrading the BIOS not a big deal?
It should be updated unless it's very very old stock. Should be fine, most likely.

I am planning on doing a lot of work in blender, so any thoughts about downgrading a certain part or upgrading another would be awesome as well.
The build looks pretty balanced to me. I'd up the power supply a bit, though. Just to accommodate any future upgrades without going through the process of replacing your PSU.
What sort of work do you do in Blender?
Could be a good idea to grab AMD's Ryzen 7000 + AM5 motherboard for better platform longevity. The CPU here is the best CPU you can ever put into that motherboard, so if you're planning an upgrade in a year or two, I'd go with the newer platform. But then, cost does go up a bit in that case.