• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

First Animation Build advice

F

froody95

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new professional animator who's looking to start some freelance gigs in 2021. My main workload involves animating decently complex character rigs (for acting and body mechanics) and maybe a bit of light rendering to get a better final product. I wanted atleast an RTX to make sure it's a bit future proof.

My budget is a bit limited- $1800-1900CAD ( $1370-1450 USD) but I was looking for a build that would make sure my animation workflow would be as smooth as possible (hopefully a good framerate in the viewport so I can avoid constant playblasts).

First of all, the articles on the website have been a godsend! Really helped narrow down what I needed. This is what I have come up with so far-

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING ($362.94)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98)

Total: $1357.65 USD ($1737.58 CAD)

I know the CPU is pretty good but I was wondering if the Ryzen 5 3600XT would be a good replacement (about $70 cheaper) or whether I should wait for the Ryzen 5 5600x which will release next month?
That, and any other general comments about whether I should reorganize parts to focus on animation ormaybe get a better price-to-perfomance ratio, would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks! :)

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey there! If you're looking for a future proof build, I'd recommend waiting a month for the new hardware to launch so we can see some price drops. Animation usually does benefit from faster single-core performance and it does seem like the new Ryzen processors will come with a substantial bump in that department. If you can wait, definitely wait. That said, the build, as it is now, looks pretty balanced to me. No issues as such :)

Reactions: Alex Glawion
F

froody95

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey there! If you're looking for a future proof build, I'd recommend waiting a month for the new hardware to launch so we can see some price drops. Animation usually does benefit from faster single-core performance and it does seem like the new Ryzen processors will come with a substantial bump in that department. If you can wait, definitely wait. That said, the build, as it is now, looks pretty balanced to me. No issues as such :)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I think I'll try getting the 5600X instead of the 3700X. Less cores but that single core performance is looking very good!

Reactions: Jerry James