• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

First PC build _ Designer

jeetskd

jeetskd

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for all the work on this website. Would you mind looking over the spec here? Looking to build my first PC and hoping to upgrade as time goes on and needs change. We are based in the UK.

We use lots of different bits of software including:
Revit
Rhino 3d and grasshopper
Houdini
Maxwell
Unreal
Adobe suite

Do you think the following combination will work? Also, do you think I have the right graphics card?

——
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Titanium Big Tower Case
Microsoft windows professional
Corsair 64GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz RAM/Memory Kit (4x16GB)
Corsair AX1600i 1600W ATX 2.4 Power Supply
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 TR4
2tb Samsung 970 EVO plus
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (ATX)
2 x ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB TUF GAMING OC Ampere Graphics Card

———

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Overall the build looks pretty good, and I wouldn't tweak too much. However, the graphics card choice depends a lot on whether you'll need to stack additional graphics cards down the line or not. If you're doing heavy render work on Maxwell and would want to add more GPUs in later on (iirc, Maxwell does support multi-GPU), then opting for a Blower-style cooler RTX 3070 would be a better choice. I don't think any have been announced yet, though :D

jeetskd

jeetskd

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Yeah, not entirely sure what the future will hold. But would be nice to have the option. Are there any alternatives around that range that you could recommend that would be better for stacking?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Yeah, not entirely sure what the future will hold. But would be nice to have the option. Are there any alternatives around that range that you could recommend that would be better for stacking?
At the moment, no choice but to wait for AIBs to announce blower-style RTX 3070 graphics cards. AFAIK, only RTX 3090s and 3080s are available with a blower. Those cards are much better for stacking. Here's a blower RTX 3090 as an example - GeForce RTX™ 3090 TURBO 24G Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

jeetskd

jeetskd

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi would this work instead?
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080