• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

First ram issues, now Video card, is it time to just upgrade?

BoldOnTheMove

BoldOnTheMove

Tech Intern
Reaction score
hey hey,

I've bee having some issues with my PC. It's about 5 years old, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's time to just upgrade. I'm a motion designer who's getting more and more into 3d (Cinema 4dRedshift, and Octane at the moment. Starting a Maya class soon). I'm looking for guidance on troubleshooting, or just waving the white flag and building a new PC.

Background:
Explorer started hanging randomly, so I did a fresh instal of windows. I noticed it would hang on startup, but after ctrl+alt+delete and hitting task manager it would fix itself without needing to relaunch.

Ran a userBenchmark and everything tested fine except the RAM. I ran a Memory test through windows & Memtest86, both passed. run sfc scan, no issues. Reinstalled windows again, still there. Finally started pulling out ram and trying to recreate the issue to isolate the problem, and eventually found a combo that wouldn't cause the problem (but they all ran fine with just 1 stick in).

New issue:
It's now 1 week later, and my monitor won't turn on. It's got power, but not detected in the computer, have to go through motherboard HDMI to see the screen. My guess is maybe it's the motherboard going bad?

Conclusion:
So, to the question, is there a fix for this, or should I just wave the white flag and build a new PC?
(Sub question: If I do build a new one, anything worth bringing over from old pc?)

Build:
Intel Core i7-8700K
Gigabyte GA-Z370 AORUS Gaming WIFI-CF
Nvidia GTX 1070
G.SKILL F4 DDR4 2400 C17 4x16GB
evga 650 g3
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
It's now 1 week later, and my monitor won't turn on. It's got power, but not detected in the computer, have to go through motherboard HDMI to see the screen. My guess is maybe it's the motherboard going bad?
If you can see the screen using your iGPU, then it's probably graphics card related. If you have access to another machine or parts you can use to test this out, that'd be ideal.

(Sub question: If I do build a new one, anything worth bringing over from old pc?)
Well, if you're planning on a new build, storage is probably what you'll want to carry over.