• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

First Time New Build - Mini Port to HDMI question

C

Car'a'carn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
So, I'm brand new to this whole building computer thing and to this forum, so If I mess up anything just let me know! I'm trying my best and I've talked with a few other people that I know so I think I'm on the right track, but I have a question about a GPU. I'm looking at the Visiontek Radeon rx560 4GB, but it comes with 4 mini ports. I know they make Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt Port) to HDMI converters, but is that going to mess with my graphics any? Rather than just finding one that has an HDMI port already.

Here is my build so far if this helps. I'm looking for something that will run 60ish fps on medium on most games. I'm not a professional or streamer, just want to be able to play games without the choppy 30fps I'm getting on my MAC. lol Thanks for everything in advance!

• CPU: i5-9400
  • Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • Storage: Samsung 870 evo 1TB SSD
  • Cooling: ID-Cooling SE-224-XT Basic
  • GPU: Visiontek Radeon RX560 4GB (4 Mini DisplayPort's)
  • Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid-Tower
  • Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600w
  • Monitor: Sceptre E248W - 19203R 24" 1920x1080 75Hz

First Edit: Saw where they call them Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt Ports. Not mini ports as I was calling them.

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I know they make Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt Port) to HDMI converters, but is that going to mess with my graphics any?
Nah, most of the well-made ones will work just fine :) I've used an AmazonBasics Mini DP to HDMI cable without issues in the past so that should still be a viable option.

I'm looking for something that will run 60ish fps on medium on most games.
What resolution are you at? If you're at Full HD, you should be able to get 60~ on most older titles. However, an RX 560 will struggle with modern AAA titles at even FHD. For reference, Cyberpunk 2077 gets right around 25-30 FPS when playing at 1080p low settings with an RX560.

Reactions: Car'a'carn
C

Car'a'carn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Nah, most of the well-made ones will work just fine :) I've used an AmazonBasics Mini DP to HDMI cable without issues in the past so that should still be a viable option.

What resolution are you at? If you're at Full HD, you should be able to get 60~ on most older titles. However, an RX 560 will struggle with modern AAA titles at even FHD. For reference, Cyberpunk 2077 gets right around 25-30 FPS when playing at 1080p low settings with an RX560.

So If I understand right 1080p, FHD, is right at the top for resolution. Right under 4k, I know they talk about 4k for TV's not sure if it is the same for computer monitors. I'm not looking for anything super amazing. I'd be fine with 720p, I'd also be fine with running on Medium settings for games. Not sure if everything I said is correct, but it made sense in my head, there is a lot to learn about computers. Thanks for all of your help!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
So If I understand right 1080p, FHD, is right at the top for resolution. Right under 4k, I know they talk about 4k for TV's not sure if it is the same for computer monitors. I'm not looking for anything super amazing. I'd be fine with 720p, I'd also be fine with running on Medium settings for games. Not sure if everything I said is correct, but it made sense in my head, there is a lot to learn about computers. Thanks for all of your help!
1614796900516.png
This should give you a better idea about the resolutions :) It kinda depends on what sort of games you'd play. For most games you should be fine, but for modern titles (released 2021/2020), it'll be a struggle even at 720p.