• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

GPU's heating up while working in BIOS

Jeroen

Jeroen

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi,

When I am spending time inside the BIOS, I notice that my GPU's become very hot. I cannot say what the temperature is, but when windows starts up, I hear all four blowerfan GPU's going crazy and the cooling-air coming out feels really hot.

I find this behaviour worrying, but after the OS has started, all appears to be well.

My system includes Asus WS X299 Sage MB and four Gigabyte RTX 2090ti, I included a textfile with all settings that are saved in the BIOS user profile and a BIOS screenshot of what I believe are the relevant GPU power settings.

Question;
  1. Have I made a mistake in the settings?
  2. Is it advisable to update the BIOS? (Installed version is 1201, latest is 3203)
Thanks for taking a look at this!

Attachments

• 201103184818.jpg
    201103184818.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 00_setting.txt
    25.9 KB · Views: 4
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
You can update BIOS, of course. Heating in BIOS is strange. Is this a recent thing or did it happen from the start when you built your machine?

Jeroen

Jeroen

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for replying.
After I updated BIOS to latest version, it seems to be OK now.
I noticed that in the ASUS BIOS settings there is an option to access specific settings for GPU's, but it is only available for ASUS GPU's and I have Gygabyte GPU's.
Is this the usual way in which MB suppliers set things up, or is this specific for ASUS stuff? (frying competitor GPU's!)
If so, that is something to keep in mind when purchasing components.

(NB; about your question, I don't know, since I do not often mess around in BIOS settings)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the usual way in which MB suppliers set things up, or is this specific for ASUS stuff? (frying competitor GPU's!)
If so, that is something to keep in mind when purchasing components.

(NB; about your question, I don't know, since I do not often mess around in BIOS settings)

I haven't come across this as a reproducible issue in my years building PCs, tbh. Usually what happens is that the fans might just ramp up like mad for a bit and go back to normal right after. But I'll stay on the lookout for something like this whenever I'm testing hardware :) Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Jeroen