• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Help and advice for my planned build for 3D animation, VFX and rendering

rccola

rccola

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to start this thread by saying that I'm not quite good with parts and hardware or determining which are good at specific functions and all that.
I've been a 3D animator for 3 years and I've decided it was about time I upgraded and a friend of mine recently gave me his RTX 3060
I use Maya, Blender, After Effects and about to start using UE4

I've done a bit of research and came up with this build as a result.

• Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Asus RoG Strix X570-E
  • RTX 3060
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB Dual 3600Mhz

While I did my research, I still believe I only scratched the surface so I'm still not quite sure about this build whether it will boost the performance for work such as 3D animation, VFX, sims and rendering as mentioned in the title.
So I figured asking here for inputs and advices would finally clear my uncertainty and make my decision.

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
The build looks great. A good, better value alternative to that motherboard would the MSI X570 Unify (assuming you can find it for cheaper than the X570-E).

rccola

rccola

Tech Intern
Reaction score
The build looks great. A good, better value alternative to that motherboard would the MSI X570 Unify (assuming you can find it for cheaper than the X570-E).
That mobo is out of stock on almost all stores around my city sadly.
Though someone actually told me to go for an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi (AM4) instead of Asus but I'm not quite sure what difference (besides the price of the MSI mobo being cheaper) does the two have for me to consider one after the other and what pros and cons.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
That mobo is out of stock on almost all stores around my city sadly.
Though someone actually told me to go for an MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi (AM4) instead of Asus but I'm not quite sure what difference (besides the price of the MSI mobo being cheaper) does the two have for me to consider one after the other and what pros and cons.
Oh, no I wouldn't recommend going for the Gaming Edge. The X570-E is far better. The X570 Gaming Edge has some VRM issues when running higher core-count processors. Not great if you ever want to upgrade to a 16-core Ryzen. Here's a list of our recommendations if you want to look around - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-motherboard-for-amd-ryzen-5000/