• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

HELP NEEDED TO BUILD MY FIRST WORKSTATION FOR VFX/CG/REALTIME GRAPHIC!!!

carlo.alleva

carlo.alleva

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I'm new on the forum and the topic probably will be something you already discuss a million time.
Sorry about that. I hope the community will help me out with this decision, cause I' will invest a good amount of money in my new build.

I'm a motion designer and lookdev artist, which means that the programs that I will use most are Nuke, Maya, Arnold, Redshift, Zbrush; substance painter and designer.
I've also started using Unreal Engine to create environments for virtual production.

I've read tons of articles about the build of every kind.
After a couple of months, I end up with this building:

• Be Quiet! Silent Base 601 Window Silver
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16 Core CPU – 4.9GHz Turbo
  • Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master Motherboard with USB Type-C
  • NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X GPU
  • 128GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3600MHz (4x32GB)
  • 1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 SSD (7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
  • 16TB Seagate 3.5″ Ironwolf Pro HDD, 2 Years Rescue+DataRecovery on registration
  • Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO 280mm Processor Liquid Cooling
  • Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX PSU
  • Built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth with the Motherboard
  • Integrated Sound Card On The Motherboard
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
This is a complete beast but I realized that at the end of the day I probably don't new all this power for my work, or to be clear I don't need it now, but I like to configure a machine that in the feature will be possible to upgrade.

The only component that I will keep for sure is the processor. ( 5950x )

About the video card, I was initially thinking to get one RTX 3090 for mining to take back part of the investment, but all we know that is impossible to find these days, and also I'm starting to considering more the Quadro series as the RTX 4000 or 5000 or an RTX 3080.

My budget is from 2000 - 5000 Euro.

What I'm asking you guys is:

What do you think about the build?
Is there a good alternative to low the cost?
Should I consider the investment in the Quadro series or not for working/mining?

I hope you will help me to choose a good build for my needs, and also help me to save money on it.
It will be my first professional build so any advice is welcome, fill free to say what you have in mind. I will extremely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Carlo

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think about the build?
Is there a good alternative to low the cost?
Should I consider the investment in the Quadro series or not for working/mining?
- The build is solid, definitely the highest-end of performance you can buy at the moment.
- Yep, definitely possible to lower the cost. If you're shooting for better value, can always go for a 3080 (unless VRAM is a factor). VRAM usage depends on the sizes of your scenes and how complex they are.
- I covered the Quadro vs. Consumer graphics cards here - https://www.cgdirector.com/amd-rade...Workstation_Graphics_vs_Gaming_Graphics_Cards - That might clear it up :)