• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

High Clock Speed + Excellent GPU

Y

Yossi Siegel

I'm trying to figure out the perfect build for my budget (generalist 3D/Maya/VRay, modeling animation and rendering), and I saw that for the custom PC builder, I can only choose one out of 3 things I need the computer for.

After reading through the extended article on the different parts used in 3D software (https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-3d-modeling-rendering) I couldn't help but ask very simply:

Since I use Vray, wouldn't the best option for me be to get a high-clock-speed CPU, coupled with an excellent GPU and plenty of RAM (32 gb)? (My budget is around $1500)

Thing is, I would need to learn the works of GPU rendering since until now I've been using CPU, but my laptop is old AND not too amazing, so any new workstation will be an inviting change for the better. Just wanna make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Thank you so much in advance! I was looking at the forum and am in awe at the willingness of the pros on here to give out there free advice, very appreciative and educational!

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I use Vray, wouldn't the best option for me be to get a high-clock-speed CPU, coupled with an excellent GPU and plenty of RAM (32 gb)? (My budget is around $1500)

Yep, you pretty much nailed it. If you do want to get into GPU rendering down the line, just go with a motherboard that has PCI-E bifurcation (x8/x8 slots) or offers PCI-E 4.0 lanes on the secondary x16 slots. Also, go with a powerful-enough PSU. That should have you covered for any eventual upgrade without too much hassle. Just drop it in, and done.

Reactions: YossiS
Y

Yossi Siegel

Thank you! Glad to know I'm on the right track. You guys rock! :love:

Y

Yossi Siegel

Quick question:

For now I realize that I don't have a great chance at finding a 3070 or 3060 ti or the like for my rig that I'm trying to build now (currently I'm hunting down deals on the less "problematic" parts like SSD and RAM). So I figured I'd look around for a lower-end GPU and later on I can purchase a better one (and heck, two are better than one, right?).

The question is, which motherboard and CPU would suit my needs without overspending? I'm trying not to overdo the $1500 budget limit, and so far I've spent 200$ on storage and 140$ on RAM (I decided 32 GB was worth it, since I often work with several programs open, such as editing, post, encore, etc. even if it takes me over my budget by a $100 or so). The motherboard needs to support my GPU that I'm planning to build, as well as a lower end one that I might find in the nearer future).

Also, I am totally lost on CPUs, the whole business is making me dizzy. I was set on the Ryzen series, but can't figure out how much money I should spend on a CPU that will give me what I need without overdoing my budget. Any help/recommendation(s) here would be highly appreciated.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question:

For now I realize that I don't have a great chance at finding a 3070 or 3060 ti or the like for my rig that I'm trying to build now (currently I'm hunting down deals on the less "problematic" parts like SSD and RAM). So I figured I'd look around for a lower-end GPU and later on I can purchase a better one (and heck, two are better than one, right?).

The question is, which motherboard and CPU would suit my needs without overspending? I'm trying not to overdo the $1500 budget limit, and so far I've spent 200$ on storage and 140$ on RAM (I decided 32 GB was worth it, since I often work with several programs open, such as editing, post, encore, etc. even if it takes me over my budget by a $100 or so). The motherboard needs to support my GPU that I'm planning to build, as well as a lower end one that I might find in the nearer future).

Also, I am totally lost on CPUs, the whole business is making me dizzy. I was set on the Ryzen series, but can't figure out how much money I should spend on a CPU that will give me what I need without overdoing my budget. Any help/recommendation(s) here would be highly appreciated.
Oh man, that's tough. As of now, the go-to budget recommendation has become Intel. Ironic, I know.
Ideally, you'd want an 8-core Ryzen 5000 chip. But due to stock issues and lack of competition, they're priced sky-high in most regions.
If you want to keep upgrade options in hand, I'd suggest trying to find a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3700x to tide you over (only if you want the option to upgrade to something like a Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core processor down the line).

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
(OP here, I made an account)
If I understood you correctly, you're saying that it's super-worth it (under ideal conditions) to invest in the Ryzen 9 5900x 12-core for my purposes. If all I can afford is the Ryzen 5 etc., that is OK as well (and maybe more practical during these difficult times), with the possibility of upgrading to the former, later on.

Right now, prices are better for the Intel, so I can look for an Intel with at least 8 cores and as high a clockspeed as possible within my budget, and that should suit me under the circumstances. Is that right? (And then, if I do get an Intel, will the accompanying motherboard support Ryzen should I want to upgrade?)

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
If I understood you correctly, you're saying that it's super-worth it (under ideal conditions) to invest in the Ryzen 9 5900x 12-core for my purposes. If all I can afford is the Ryzen 5 etc., that is OK as well (and maybe more practical during these difficult times), with the possibility of upgrading to the former, later on.
Well, not exactly. The 5900X is just an eventual upgrade example if you find yourself needing more CPU power because, with an Intel platform, you're realistically limited to 8 cores. There's a 10-core Intel option too, but it's not a good choice for professional work due to the power draw.
Technically, an 8-core Ryzen 5000 is the perfect CPU. But the price point is such that it's much better value to just hop up to a Ryzen 9 5900X.

Right now, prices are better for the Intel, so I can look for an Intel with at least 8 cores and as high a clockspeed as possible within my budget, and that should suit me under the circumstances. Is that right? (And then, if I do get an Intel, will the accompanying motherboard support Ryzen should I want to upgrade?)
Yep, correct. But the motherboard will limit you to Intel's processors (10th and 11th Generation). If there's any chance at all that your work might need more CPU power (faster/more cores) before you're ready to upgrade your motherboard as well (3~ years-ish), I'd recommend getting a Ryzen to get you by so you can just swap out your processor to upgrade.

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Right now there's a sale (gotta act quick!) on the Intel Core i9-10850K for 400$...

Is it a good buy considering all the above mentioned minuses? (And compatibility with nvidia etc)

I don't see myself upgrading my cpu in the next few years, after spending more than 250$ on the first, so my purchase is significant.

Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Couldn't figure out how to delete my post.
I'll just look around for a Ryzen, I think it might be worth the 150$ increase, to keep me calm and sane for the next few years...

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't figure out how to delete my post.
I'll just look around for a Ryzen, I think it might be worth the 150$ increase, to keep me calm and sane for the next few years...
I know the feeling. To be honest, at $400, the 10850K is a pretty good deal. However, it's not a great choice for CPU-intensive workloads that will push all the cores due to excessive power draw and heat - especially for a 10-core part. But if that's all the cores you'll need for most of your work, go for it, I'd say. You should be set for a few years.