• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

How does one OVERCLOCK?

V

VinceNM

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new to the pc world and have no idea how overcooking works...

How to do it? When to do it? For how long? At what risks?

Does anyone have an article they can direct me to?

Thanks!

Here’s my setup:
  • Intel Core I9-9900K
  • CPU COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 4, BK021
  • MB: asus WS Z390 PRO
  • rtx 2070 super
  • RAM: Corsair LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x
  • SSD: Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0
  • I use C4D

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey VinceNM! Well, overclocking can get complicated when we're talking about professional workloads. We really avoid overclocking for things like renders and active work because even a risk of a crash (however low that risk may be) is just not worth the performance bump you get from that overclock.

An overclock will help you get better, sustained clock speeds across all cores. So, in your case, instead of running a Core i9 9900K at stock, you could theoretically push it to 5GHz for faster renders or better gaming performance. That's right around a 5% performance bump. But you do pay for this performance with higher thermals (temperatures), excessive power draw, and of course, the risk of crashes during long renders.

Definitely not worth it for professional work, in my opinion :) If you're still curious about how to get one going, you can check this out - https://www.msi.com/blog/overclock-intel-10900k-meg-z490-ace.

It deals with a 10900K and an MSI BIOS, but it will give you an idea about the process and what you need to do.

As for what overclock settings you can get will vary chip to chip. No two 9900K chips will overclock the same. Some might hit 5GHz at lower voltages, while others will require additional voltage to get stable. It's a trial and error sort of process. You can find more details in this video by der8auer.

Reactions: VinceNM
V

VinceNM

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hey VinceNM! Well, overclocking can get complicated when we're talking about professional workloads. We really avoid overclocking for things like renders and active work because even a risk of a crash (however low that risk may be) is just not worth the performance bump you get from that overclock.

An overclock will help you get better, sustained clock speeds across all cores. So, in your case, instead of running a Core i9 9900K at stock, you could theoretically push it to 5GHz for faster renders or better gaming performance. That's right around a 5% performance bump. But you do pay for this performance with higher thermals (temperatures), excessive power draw, and of course, the risk of crashes during long renders.

Definitely not worth it for professional work, in my opinion :) If you're still curious about how to get one going, you can check this out - https://www.msi.com/blog/overclock-intel-10900k-meg-z490-ace.

It deals with a 10900K and an MSI BIOS, but it will give you an idea about the process and what you need to do.

As for what overclock settings you can get will vary chip to chip. No two 9900K chips will overclock the same. Some might hit 5GHz at lower voltages, while others will require additional voltage to get stable. It's a trial and error sort of process. You can find more details in this video by der8auer.

Thank you for your reply Jerry. It saved me a lot of fruitless googling!

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James