• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Is the 2970wx still relevant?

fabiocolor

fabiocolor

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Ive been eyeing a local listing for a 2970wx with a x399 all for $600 seems like a good deal, so im thinking maybe i could set it up as render farm, most of my work is video encoding and cpu rendering so it could be valuable.
But im not really sure, i have 3 main machines a 7950x, a 5950x and a 5900x, will the 2970wx be an improvement besides the pcie lanes?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Ive been eyeing a local listing for a 2970wx with a x399 all for $600 seems like a good deal, so im thinking maybe i could set it up as render farm, most of my work is video encoding and cpu rendering so it could be valuable.
But im not really sure, i have 3 main machines a 7950x, a 5950x and a 5900x, will the 2970wx be an improvement besides the pcie lanes?
No, you won’t get an improvement from anything CPU-related. But if you need the additional PCIe lanes, an older workstation platform is usually the best value way to go about it.