• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Laptop choice for rendering.. Which of those 2?

D

Demetris S

Hello everyone,
I need your input to choose one of the laptops below please.
I am planning to buy a custom laptop and am a bit confused with all that am reading in various sites.
I use simultaneously four programs when I work on my projects plus I have open the outlook and chrome.. Those programs are:
1.Autocad
2.Rhino
3. Vray or twinmotion or lumion (depending on the project but mostly twinmotion)
4. Photoshop.

I build the plan view in autocad, create the 3d in rhino, render it in either of the 3 renderers above and then post production in photoshop
Below are the two systems that I have into consideration. Which one do you recommend?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 desktop CPU (not the X)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Refresh 8 GB
32 GB DDR4-3200 Samsung
500 GB M.2 Samsung 960 EVO

Intel i7 10875H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB
32 GB DDR4-2666 Corsair

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need your input to choose one of the laptops below please.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 desktop CPU (not the X)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Refresh 8 GB
32 GB DDR4-3200 Samsung
This config is for a laptop as well?

I'd go with the config that has a stronger GPU (3070). However, do make sure that the laptop won't run into thermal bottlenecks with that Intel i7 10875H during longer work sessions.

Reactions: DAS Interior
DAS Interior

DAS Interior

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
This config is for a laptop as well?

I'd go with the config that has a stronger GPU (3070). However, do make sure that the laptop won't run into thermal bottlenecks with that Intel i7 10875H during longer work sessions.

Hi Jerry

Thank you for your response. Yes that's for laptop also. I get what you say and you are right... For so many apps running at the same time for 3hours constantly (even more sometimes) the i7 might be an issue.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jerry

Thank you for your response. Yes that's for laptop also. I get what you say and you are right... For so many apps running at the same time for 3hours constantly (even more sometimes) the i7 might be an issue.
Yeah, exactly. The 3900 is a decent pick but rendering might be much slower when using Twinmotion because of the weaker GPU. Rock and a hard place :rolleyes: :D

Reactions: DAS Interior
DAS Interior

DAS Interior

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
i
Yeah, exactly. The 3900 is a decent pick but rendering might be much slower when using Twinmotion because of the weaker GPU. Rock and a hard place :rolleyes: :D

I think i will proceed with the Ryzen option....i have to wait at lest 2-3 months for the new gpu paired with a ryzen desktop processor and probably will cost much more...anyway thank you for all your info!

Reactions: Jerry James