• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Laptop for ArchViz

O

Oskar

Hi Guys,

Im an architecture student and I’m searching for a right notebook.

I know that a desktop would suit me better in general but as I’m studying overseas I’m moving places quite often and unfortunately I need convenience of a laptop.

I’m doing quite a lot of visualisations on vray and I think it’s probably the most demanding of the apps I’m using. apart from that I’m using revit, rhino and 3DS Max. I’m thinking of switching to corona renderer if it changes anything but for the time being that’s my set of apps.
I ve done quite a lot of reading on the topic and I think I want to spend extra in order to get the best machine I can.
I’m looking at

ASUS Strix Scar 15 Rtx3080 16GB/ryzen 9 5900HX/1440p display 48GB RAM

ASUS Zephyrus Duo with The same specs

Gigabyte Aero 15 i9 10980hk and RTX3080 8GB/ 64 GB RAM

alienware m15 r4 - I really have no ideawhat specs to go for as apparently rtx3070 is performing better than 3080 in ASUS models.
I9 10980h/RTX3080
I7 10870H/RTX3070/ 32GB ram

I’m not including any of QUADRO rtx 5000 laptops as with the new gen of laptop GPUs they seem to offer less performance.
I was almost sold on ASUS Strix, but then reading buyers advice here on CGdirector I noticed that multi threaded performance is less important then single core and that’s where intel is superior to amd.

I’m happy to hear your thoughts or suggestions

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im an architecture student and I’m searching for a right notebook.

I know that a desktop would suit me better in general but as I’m studying overseas I’m moving places quite often and unfortunately I need convenience of a laptop.

I’m doing quite a lot of visualisations on vray and I think it’s probably the most demanding of the apps I’m using. apart from that I’m using revit, rhino and 3DS Max. I’m thinking of switching to corona renderer if it changes anything but for the time being that’s my set of apps.
I ve done quite a lot of reading on the topic and I think I want to spend extra in order to get the best machine I can.
I’m looking at

ASUS Strix Scar 15 Rtx3080 16GB/ryzen 9 5900HX/1440p display 48GB RAM

ASUS Zephyrus Duo with The same specs

Gigabyte Aero 15 i9 10980hk and RTX3080 8GB/ 64 GB RAM

alienware m15 r4 - I really have no ideawhat specs to go for as apparently rtx3070 is performing better than 3080 in ASUS models.
I9 10980h/RTX3080
I7 10870H/RTX3070/ 32GB ram

I’m not including any of QUADRO rtx 5000 laptops as with the new gen of laptop GPUs they seem to offer less performance.
I was almost sold on ASUS Strix, but then reading buyers advice here on CGdirector I noticed that multi threaded performance is less important then single core and that’s where intel is superior to amd.

I’m happy to hear your thoughts or suggestions
The Ryzen laptop will offer better performance for your apps. Intel used to beat AMD in single-core performance but with these 5000 parts, AMD is now well ahead. Grab the Ryzen laptop and it'll work the best with your apps.

O

Oskar

The Ryzen laptop will offer better performance for your apps. Intel used to beat AMD in single-core performance but with these 5000 parts, AMD is now well ahead. Grab the Ryzen laptop and it'll work the best with your apps.
Thanks for your answer! I am waiting for it to get back to stock then