• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Laptop for sculpting 3D with Blender

M

Michi

Hello everyone,
I'm sorry but being a beginner in Blender I can't get my bearings and I'm quite scared by the cost of these machines...
My purpose being a sculptor, is to make 3D sculpture. I don't do animation or rigging or need complex renderings.
To learn and be able to model without having too many limitations.

What do you guys recommend me between the two? (Or some other recommendations):

- 2018 Mac Book Air 13′ used guaranteed
or
- 2020 Mac Book Air M1 with 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB of unified memory
512GB SSD drive

Thanks!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
If you absolutely need a laptop, I'd recommend staying away from the Intel Macbooks, to be honest. They're terrible for CPU-intensive work like Blender. Go for other Intel-based Windows laptops. I don't think Blender has a native M1 version yet, otherwise, that'd have been a decent choice. If you're just learning, you don't need to spend too much on hardware. You'll feel the need for additional computing power when you get into more complex stuff.

M

Michi

Hi Jerry,
I found these reviews where it seems that Blender runs very well with the new Mac Book Air M1. What do you think?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks pretty decent. Though the last video did show a complex scene that was a stutterfest -

Depends on the types of scenes you would want to handle. Once a native Blender version is released, I'd wager the performance would be much better.

M

Michi

I will think better about my possible purchase.
Thanks again for the advice Jerry (y)

Reactions: Jerry James
P

Paul

Hi Im looking for a laptop at the moment and unsure what to go for. Im literally starting out with Blender and Adobe suite and other fractal programmes. Ive been recommended to go with an AMD ryzen 7 processor or above but a lot of laptops have the Intel i7. I dont know if either would be just as good or whether to go for AMD? Im looking at 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive and then Im unsure on the graphics card. Theres a couple of options which either have GeForce RTX 2060 for about £1200 or one for £1600 which has the Geforce RTX 3070 and slightly better AMD processor so Ryzen 7 4800H vs Ryzen 7 5800H? I just dont know if its worth the extra money to get the RTX 3070 or if the RTX 2060 will be fine while Im learning? Thanks