• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Looking for a laptop for both serious gaming and designing work

aisha9485

aisha9485

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello all!!! I would really like some good suggestions on the laptop models which I could use for both 2D and 3D design, animation, video editing as well as for some bit of gaming? In my region, I have options between Asus, Acer, Lenovo, Dell and Apple. Unfortunately, Gigabyte and MSI aren't present in my city... My preference is basically towards Asus... Also, will Asus Zephyrus M16 be good enough for these tasks and usage or shall I go for Zephyrus G15 instead? Thank you all and have a good day. Stay safe. Also, what's your take on Legion 5 Pro and Legion 7??? A lot of reviewers complained of very loud fan noise in them...

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Picking laptops can get a bit confusing because there are so many combinations out there. To start, I suggest settling on a budget and trying to find laptop models that fit the hardware you would ideally want. We were discussing the same on this thread as well - https://www.cgdirector.com/forum/th...sumption-and-as-eco-as-possible.689/post-2906

See if you can narrow down some laptop models featuring an AMD Ryzen 5000 CPU and an NVidia RTX (GeForce or Quadro) available in your region. This is the best workstation combo on the market today.

Asus Zephyrus M16 be good enough
Yes it definitely would :) but there should be better options that consume less power and also cost less money while performing right around the same.

aisha9485

aisha9485

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
My budget is around 3-3500 usd which converts to about 2-250k lakh in Indian rupees since I already had few very bad experiences with a laptop on a lesser budget, in spite of it being a gaming one... And, it really let me down and embarassed me in front of the whole office too...

aisha9485

aisha9485

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Right now, the models here with AMD are basically Asus Zephyrus G15, Legion 5 Pro and Asus Rog Strix G15... I am looking for one with a bigger screen since I sometimes work on longer posters and even websites too... So, a bigger screen would really help with that though... But, the Lenovo doesn't really has much of a good reputation here though mainly cause of some security and data security issues...

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, the models here with AMD are basically Asus Zephyrus G15, Legion 5 Pro and Asus Rog Strix G15... I am looking for one with a bigger screen since I sometimes work on longer posters and even websites too... So, a bigger screen would really help with that though
Oh, I see. Are you looking for a screen larger than 16 inches?
When it comes to 16 inches, the Legion 5 Pro is decent hardware-wise. But if Lenovo isn't a good option for you, will need to go another way.
Check out the ASUS ProArt range of laptops. They do offer 17-inch screens and good hardware. That said, they do tend to be pricey.

Another option would be the Intel ASUS TUF laptops (ASUS TUF Gaming F17 2021 models)

aisha9485

aisha9485

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Sadly, Asus ProArt series aren't available yet in my country :( and, Asus Tuf models are 1 or 2 years old but without rtx series here...

aisha9485

aisha9485

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
16 inch is still good enough I think

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, Asus ProArt series aren't available yet in my country :( and, Asus Tuf models are 1 or 2 years old but without rtx series here...
Oh that's rough :/ Check for ASUS Strix Scar or the TUF Dash? I think other than the relatively bad screens (color-wise and response time-wise), they should have the hardware you need.
If those aren't available either, don't really have much of a choice but to consider Lenovo or a smaller display

D

Duane

I’ve got my eye on this machine, can you recommend anything better at the same price range?
I mainly work in Ps/Ai/Ae and small work in C4D, and a super casual gamer in that I just play with a few friends and talk smack in CoD Warzone.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1642956-REG
I also just found this guy, little cheaper, GPU is a bit of a step down, but it has a ton of great reviews. I’m skeptical of the Lenovo brand and AMD, but I know they’ve come a long way.

My main concern is my ability to work in After Effects/Illustrator/C4D, so running a game on ultra high isn’t a priority, but I would like to gain the benefits of PC games over my PlayStation-playing friends 😁

Lenovo Legion 5 15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti, Windows 10H, 82JW0012US, Phantom Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YKG5K7F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JJWBH8JEBQPGHGH99Q04

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
I also just found this guy, little cheaper, GPU is a bit of a step down, but it has a ton of great reviews. I’m skeptical of the Lenovo brand and AMD, but I know they’ve come a long way.

My main concern is my ability to work in After Effects/Illustrator/C4D, so running a game on ultra high isn’t a priority, but I would like to gain the benefits of PC games over my PlayStation-playing friends 😁

Lenovo Legion 5 15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Display, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti, Windows 10H, 82JW0012US, Phantom Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YKG5K7F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JJWBH8JEBQPGHGH99Q04
Both your listed options are decent. Can't really go wrong with either pick, tbh. However, I'd go with the RTX 3060 model if I was to pick between the two.

D

Duane

Both your listed options are decent. Can't really go wrong with either pick, tbh. However, I'd go with the RTX 3060 model if I was to pick between the two.
Nice!
I actually think I’m going with this guy.
It’s had some great reviews and is currently on sale, but I worry they won’t have any left come December when I have enough funds, so we will see. Thanks!

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/legion-5i-gen-6-(15''-intel)/82jh0003us

Reactions: Jerry James