• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Looking to replace Corsair 450w power supply for better fit...

Leon-hell

Leon-hell

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i'm planning my first pc building and really excited about it!
I started by getting a custom build list on the website.
I want to use this pc for video / audio editing but mainly graphic and industrial design.

I've been studying the components (listed below) and started having doubts on the Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 2.4.
I found some negative comments about low-grade components inside and tendancy to fail quickly.
And As I found out, recommended wattage for GPU processor is 500watts.

Since I also want to be able to add additionnal hard disks and internal sound cards without any trouble,
What should be my best options for a power supply upgrade fitting my other components ?
What should I look for when I want to confirm compatilibity between power supply and Case / motherboard ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6MZKm

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC ATX AM4 ($189.99)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6500XT - XFX Speedster ($279.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($69.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive ($129.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($55.99)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 600 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.38)
Total: $1276.22

magneto

magneto

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Leon,

If it were me, I wouldn't go below 650W for that build, or even 750W. These days PSUs are more efficient for sure, but I think it's still good to give it some headroom especially if you want to expand the Sytem later, but not certain what you will add.

I have been recently very impressed with the Thermaltake "Toughpower" GF1 line. The whopping 140mm fan only runs when a certain threashold of power-demand is reached, and then it is as good as inaudible. The build quality was flawless. There are plenty of alternatives, see if this helps:

Be aware that of all the AMD CPUs at the moment, the 5800X runs the hottest. The Dark Rock Pro should be fine.

With compatibility, your Case, Motherboard and PSU are all 'ATX' - ATX is a design standard that includes dimentions, so in theory all should be fine.
More care is required when it comes to RAM-height vs CPU Cooler design, and Cooler height vs Case capacity. It is important to check the dimentions in the Spec-Sheets. I have had the experience of unboxing a beefy and expensive cooler only to find I had not checked if it could be accomidated by the case, (the side-panel could not go back on) calamity!

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Leon-hell