• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Mother Board and NVME Question

H

HunterSho

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a ROG Z790 Maximus Hero with a 1TB 980 Pro (will be the OS primary C: drive) and also a 2TB 980 Pro that will be used for game storage. What NVME slots do you all recommend I put these in? Don't think I want to use the ROG Hyper M.2 card as it will bring the PCIe slot from 16x down to 8x.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a ROG Z790 Maximus Hero with a 1TB 980 Pro (will be the OS primary C: drive) and also a 2TB 980 Pro that will be used for game storage. What NVME slots do you all recommend I put these in? Don't think I want to use the ROG Hyper M.2 card as it will bring the PCIe slot from 16x down to 8x.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
It really won't matter enough either way :) But assuming DirectStorage becomes a thing this year for newer games, you can use the 2TB drive on your fastest slot (top) and the OS SSD anywhere else.