• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Need advice on new build for 3D modelling, computational design, rendering and light gaming.

• Thread starter Ojasvi Srivastava
  • Start date
O

Ojasvi Srivastava

Hey everyone.

I'm torn between a Ryzen 5 3600X and a Ryzen 5 5600X. Which one do you guys recommend? 5600X is the max I can stretch my budget for. It costs 410 USD in my region. I'm open to other options in that price range.

Do I need a B550 or better chipset or will a B450 be sufficient? I understand that B550 has PCIe 4.0 lanes but are they really worth it? I'd be sticking to a single NVMe SSD and a SATA III HDD. As of now I don't see myself getting any expansion cards. Maybe a Wi-Fi 6 card when they are mainstream.

I have a GTX 1070Ti which I plan to retain. Right now my CPU is the bottleneck and I'd like to see if upgrading that will yield decent results. I do want the motherboard to permit a worthy upgrade in the future.

I have an Antec Earthwatts Pro 650W Gold PSU, I'm hoping that'll be good enough.

I use Rhinoceros 3D and Grasshopper. For rendering I use Keyshot. I game at 1080p but will most likely upgrade to 4K in a year.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm torn between a Ryzen 5 3600X and a Ryzen 5 5600X. Which one do you guys recommend? 5600X is the max I can stretch my budget for. It costs 410 USD in my region. I'm open to other options in that price range.

Do I need a B550 or better chipset or will a B450 be sufficient? I understand that B550 has PCIe 4.0 lanes but are they really worth it? I'd be sticking to a single NVMe SSD and a SATA III HDD. As of now I don't see myself getting any expansion cards. Maybe a Wi-Fi 6 card when they are mainstream.

I have a GTX 1070Ti which I plan to retain. Right now my CPU is the bottleneck and I'd like to see if upgrading that will yield decent results. I do want the motherboard to permit a worthy upgrade in the future.

I have an Antec Earthwatts Pro 650W Gold PSU, I'm hoping that'll be good enough.

I use Rhinoceros 3D and Grasshopper. For rendering I use Keyshot. I game at 1080p but will most likely upgrade to 4K in a year.

For a 1070 Ti, I see no reason to jump up to a Ryzen 5600X. It's not good value. A 3600 will serve you just as well for gaming. The 5000 series Ryzen will be smoother to work on, when using Rhino3d and Grasshopper. Keyshot, on the other hand, scales well with additional CPU cores so either choice won't make too much of a difference. The 5600X will just be a touch faster.

Do you HAVE to go AMD (in case you already have a motherboard)? If not, check prices for an Intel Core i7 10700K in your region as well.

The B550 is usually available at similar prices in most regions so check for options within your budget. I usually recommend B550 because you can get a higher quality motherboard for the same price as a B450 motherboard in most cases.

What bottleneck are you trying to fix right now? Is it within a professional app?