• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Need Help with designing my build for college

• Thread starter terretdestroyer
  • Start date
T

terretdestroyer

Hello Everyone, i am new and have come here for help, i am going to be going to college for video game design and animation, and i need a new PC setup. Ultimately i want this new setup to be able to handle both gaming/streaming, and my schoolwork of designing and building video games (which includes the programming, graphics, and all of it), I'm hoping to just use a cougar Gemini x case as its designed for 2 PCs as this build would need to be separated into..., thus I would like PC #1 to be the mini PC that does all my actual gaming, and PC #2 to be the full sized one that will be for all my schoolwork (i.e. building video games from scratch to released) as well as basically being the stream machine doing all the video encoding and such for my stream so as to minimize the strain on PC #1 while it is handling the playing of the game.

some ideas/questions i have that i would like opinions on are:
1: using the cougar gemini x pc case
2: which other pc cases would one suggest for a 2 pc setup?
3: should the PCs be daisy chained together or just use a capture card (for the stream machine aspect of the build)
4: should i use only normal graphics cards or should i get a quadro graphics card
5: would the quadro card work for the encoding/stream machine workload

thx to everyone who helps, and im looking forward to your insights. :)

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
1: using the cougar gemini x pc case
I have never used it so not too sure about this one :unsure: watch a few YT reviews to make sure there aren't any major issues

which other pc cases would one suggest for a 2 pc setup?
The PC cases we recommend are geared towards workstations. Mostly Fractal Design full towers at the higher end :) For your use case, I'd suggest trying out the PC Builder and checking out the cases that it recommends.

3: should the PCs be daisy chained together or just use a capture card (for the stream machine aspect of the build)
A capture card is the way to go

should i use only normal graphics cards or should i get a quadro graphics card
In most cases regular consumer graphics cards are the best value. This might help - https://www.cgdirector.com/pro-vs-consumer-gpus/

5: would the quadro card work for the encoding/stream machine workload
Yes, it'll work just fine for either. But you really shouldn't need a Quadro for encoding/streaming. Regular consumer RTX is fine.