• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Need to Build/Upgrade a PC for Sketchup + Vray Modelling

J

Janardhanan

I currently have the below pc specs and I am not satisfied with its modeling performance as it is slow and loads often
I want to upgrade to the snappiest modeling performance PC.

Have 1800$ or 135000 INR as i am from india.

I can extend the budget to get the best modeling performance.

Kindly suggest the best options available for me

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Just now sold the 3080 i had. now running on old 960 Rog strix
80+Gold SEMI ANTEC EA 650W
Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB511 RGB
DDR 4 32GB 2x16 GB RAM 3000 Mhz Corsair
WD Green 240Gb SSD
HDD 1Tb

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
What issues are you facing exactly with this build? Could you describe some areas where you were running into slowdowns? That'll help us identify the bottleneck.

J

Janardhanan

What issues are you facing exactly with this build? Could you describe some areas where you were running into slowdowns? That'll help us identify the bottleneck.
While actively working and modeling it's very slow for every move I have to wait for some time while modeling. I don't use chrome while using sketchup or any other app while on sketchup modeling. I have even checked the performance tab of task manager to find what's bottlenecking that makes it load . But nothing is bottle necking.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
While actively working and modeling it's very slow for every move I have to wait for some time while modeling. I don't use chrome while using sketchup or any other app while on sketchup modeling. I have even checked the performance tab of task manager to find what's bottlenecking that makes it load . But nothing is bottle necking.
This might be a thermal throttling issue. Could you note your hardware temperatures while working on a project? You can use HWInfo to track CPU and GPU temps.
Also, is your SSD nearing storage capacity? And are you working off of an HDD or the SSD?

J

Janardhanan

CPU current temp is 66 max is 75
GPU as i mentioned now i am on GTX 960 as i just sold my 3080. have that money for new components thinking what to buy or upgrade. considering 3080ti
GTX 960 current is 41 max is 43. but does GPU impact performance as much as the CPU does

Working of the HDD
HDD 162 free of 932 gb
SSD 63 free of 222. SSD is only for c drive completely

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
CPU current temp is 66 max is 75
GPU as i mentioned now i am on GTX 960 as i just sold my 3080. have that money for new components thinking what to buy or upgrade. considering 3080ti
GTX 960 current is 41 max is 43. but does GPU impact performance as much as the CPU does

Working of the HDD
HDD 162 free of 932 gb
SSD 63 free of 222. SSD is only for c drive completely
Temps all look fine to me. Very strange.
It might be caused due to working off of an HDD, especially if your projects are large enough. I'd recommend a storage upgrade before changing anything else in your system. Grab a 1 TB NVMe drive.

J

Janardhanan

Done in that case I don't think my 650w PSU will hold everything. Am I right.

So I should upgrade my
1.psu to a 1000w
2. 1tb nvme. Do you have any particular suggestions for me on nvme.
3. I am planing for zotac Trinity 3080 ti. Any better plans you can suggest?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Done in that case I don't think my 650w PSU will hold everything. Am I right.

So I should upgrade my
1.psu to a 1000w
2. 1tb nvme. Do you have any particular suggestions for me on nvme.
3. I am planing for zotac Trinity 3080 ti. Any better plans you can suggest?
Yep to 1. You can pick one out from here - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-modular-power-supplies/#Best_Modular_PSUs_List
2. sure. If you're looking for a professional SSD with the longest lifespan possible, the Samsung 980 Pro is considered the best. On the more budget side, you'll find the Crucial P1 and Western Digital Blue SN550.
3. I'm not too familiar with Zotac cards, tbh.

J

Janardhanan

My MB wont support PCIe4.0 so i am torn aprt between 980 and 970 evo plus

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
My MB wont support PCIe4.0 so i am torn aprt between 980 and 970 evo plus
If a motherboard upgrade isn't on the cards anytime soon, just grab the 970. PCI-E 4.0 speeds won't help most professionals anyway, so not much downside :)