• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New backup laptop for traveling

O

Oberyn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi there!

Thank you for the very useful website and tools for building a PC! I've already consulted it for buying my PC back in 2021.
I have a 7 yr old ASUS Rog laptop (i7-4710HQ @ 2.5GHz, 12 GB ram, GeForce GTX 860M) that I'm using as secondary machine for when being abroad, which I'm afraid is dying. Now and then, with no apparent reason, it just goes into hibernation mode. I would assume that's it because of overheating, but I have a fan base, and I'm using it in an air conditioned room. Lately it's been shutting down after 10 mins or so of operating it, so it's not like I've been using it heavily for hours.

Bottom line is, I'm afraid I'll be left without a computer, and I need it for work.

I've been looking into the site's guide but I'm a bit lost. Is there a recommended brand? ASUS has been ok for me all these years, even though at some point 2 out of 4 usb ports stopped working.
I'm an animator so I'm using it mostly for Maya (or Blender sometimes). For the past 8 months I've been working remotely with a studio where I have to connect remotely through vpn and teradici software. What I've been told by the IT department, I need a strong cpu for that (and a fast connection). My contract expires next month though, so I'm not sure about the work setup for my next gig.
In general, as far as I've understood, I need a strong RAM to run Maya (at least 16GB), and a good GPU.

As I've already spent around 2k €, and I need the laptop once every 4-5 months, I wouldn't wanna spend more than 1200 - 1300 € on a new laptop.

Are there any recommendations?

Thank you very much for your time :)

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there!

Thank you for the very useful website and tools for building a PC! I've already consulted it for buying my PC back in 2021.
I have a 7 yr old ASUS Rog laptop (i7-4710HQ @ 2.5GHz, 12 GB ram, GeForce GTX 860M) that I'm using as secondary machine for when being abroad, which I'm afraid is dying. Now and then, with no apparent reason, it just goes into hibernation mode. I would assume that's it because of overheating, but I have a fan base, and I'm using it in an air conditioned room. Lately it's been shutting down after 10 mins or so of operating it, so it's not like I've been using it heavily for hours.

Bottom line is, I'm afraid I'll be left without a computer, and I need it for work.

I've been looking into the site's guide but I'm a bit lost. Is there a recommended brand? ASUS has been ok for me all these years, even though at some point 2 out of 4 usb ports stopped working.
I'm an animator so I'm using it mostly for Maya (or Blender sometimes). For the past 8 months I've been working remotely with a studio where I have to connect remotely through vpn and teradici software. What I've been told by the IT department, I need a strong cpu for that (and a fast connection). My contract expires next month though, so I'm not sure about the work setup for my next gig.
In general, as far as I've understood, I need a strong RAM to run Maya (at least 16GB), and a good GPU.

As I've already spent around 2k €, and I need the laptop once every 4-5 months, I wouldn't wanna spend more than 1200 - 1300 € on a new laptop.

Are there any recommendations?

Thank you very much for your time :)
If your GPU isn't too important, then I'd go for one of the new Ryzen 6000 laptops launching now. Let me know what laptop options you find within your price range that offer any of these CPUs:

1659885393831.png