• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New Blender PC setup

H

Hidari

Hi there,
I am going to get a dedicated Blender PC and would like to go fot the following setup. Could you please check if I will be running into any kind of trouble with that? Should I change something to improve the system? My overall budget is approx. 2000 USD.
Thank you!

be quiet! Pure Base 500 black
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8x 3.8GHz / 4.7GHz Turbo)
be quiet! Dark Rock 4
MSI B550 TOMAHAWK
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200MHz
1000GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME (L 3450MB/s ; S 3000MB/s)
1000GB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm WD Blue WD10EZEX
8GB MSI RTX3070 VENTUS 3X OC
600W be quiet! Pure Power 11
Windows 10 Home 64bit
450mbit WLAN + Bluetooth Card, PCIe (ASUS AC55BT)

Hidari

Hidari

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi again, this is me above. I just registered for the site and wanted to answer the questions from the pinned post:
- What's your Budget? approx. 2000 USD
- What are your main workloads and secondary workloads? Mainly modeling and setting up scenes for animation, Secondary is rendering stills or entire animations if possible
- Are you looking to upgrade the PC in the near future? That would be ideal
- What country will you be shopping your parts in? Germany

oonabe

oonabe

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hey, I recently ordered a new PC mainly for Blender as well and did some research, I'm not sure about this but I think the B550 motherboards are a little bit older than the new X570 and I think some of them move in a similar price range but the X570 should be more suitable for future updates in case you want to upgrade at a later point.

I would personally invest also a little more to get a 2TB drive instead of a 1TB for data, at least if you plan to make a lot of renders and maybe animations as well, then once the data disc gets full things can start getting annoying and your PC slower as well, but maybe you already own some external drives where you can move finished projects, which would be also fine. But I think if budget is limited I think I'd rather get a 500GB M.2 for software to save money and instead 2TB for data and libraries, which normally will need more space than the software

Reactions: Jerry James
Hidari

Hidari

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi and thank you very much for your input!
In terms of the HD I was going with a 1 TB as I have a local server for storing finished stuff, so this HD would only contain ongoing projects. I need to check how much more 2 TB would cost me.
I chose the B550 as this was recommended on the Best Blender PC page of this site, maybe one of the site-runners could give some input?
How is the X570 better in terms of being more future-proof?
Thanks again!

oonabe

oonabe

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
That'S a good idea, if you have a local server I don't think you'll need the 2TB for data

I think I saw the info on the differences between B550 and X570 motherboards somewhere in youtube as I was doing my research, I think this wasn't the video I saw, but they still say a couple of interesting things about the differences, which seem to be related to PCI 4 lanes:

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and thank you very much for your input!
In terms of the HD I was going with a 1 TB as I have a local server for storing finished stuff, so this HD would only contain ongoing projects. I need to check how much more 2 TB would cost me.
I chose the B550 as this was recommended on the Best Blender PC page of this site, maybe one of the site-runners could give some input?
How is the X570 better in terms of being more future-proof?
Thanks again!
Well, it really depends on whether you're planning to get into GPU rendering with a render engine like Redshift. If you want the bandwidth to slot in additional GPUs, an X570 motherboard makes sense. However, if that's meaningless for your workflow, go B550 - much better value.
I've covered it a bit on our B550 motherboards post as well. Give this section a read :) - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-b550-motherboards/#B550_vs_X570_How_Much_of_a_Downgrade

Reactions: oonabe
Hidari

Hidari

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Thank you both very much for the video link and the link to the b550 vs X570 comparison. I will try to get a X570 Tomahawk if possible, but the shop where I was planning on buying doesnt seem to stock them. I will search some more and post an update when I have found one or ordered my new system.
Thanks very much again!

Reactions: oonabe
Hidari

Hidari

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi, it is me again...
So I checked around for a x570 tomahawk, but all the stores that let you do a configuration as the one I am aiming for do not stock these. Instead I found the following:

MSI X570-A Pro
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
ASROCK X570 Pro4
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI (inkl Wlan + BT)
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi (inkl Wlan + BT)
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO WI-FI (inkl Wlan+Bluetooth)
ASROCK X570 EXTREME4

Is there a good alterative listed to the x570 tomahawk?
Thanks again for your help!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, it is me again...
So I checked around for a x570 tomahawk, but all the stores that let you do a configuration as the one I am aiming for do not stock these. Instead I found the following:

MSI X570-A Pro
MSI X570 Gaming Plus
ASROCK X570 Pro4
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI (inkl Wlan + BT)
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi (inkl Wlan + BT)
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO WI-FI (inkl Wlan+Bluetooth)
ASROCK X570 EXTREME4

Is there a good alterative listed to the x570 tomahawk?
Thanks again for your help!
Yep, get that TUF X570-Pro if you need Wi-Fi or the X570-Plus TUF if it's cheaper and you don't need wireless connectivity :)

oonabe

oonabe

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I ordered the TUF X570-Pro with WiFi for my new PC as well, seems to be a good option for the price, I'll be getting my new PC in the next days and maybe I can tell more about it then but from what I've been watching in forums and youtube tutorials seems to be a good choice

Reactions: Jerry James
Hidari

Hidari

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Great! Thank you both very much. I will go with the TUF X570-Pro with WiFi then. Cant wait to order!

Reactions: oonabe and Jerry James