• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New Macbook Configuration for Film-Editing (4K)

M

mrpink2010

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi, there this is my first thread so correct me if im doing something wrong.

About me:
I'm an independent filmmaker and want to buy a new macbook. I mainly use a workstation-PC for editing but need something to be able to work with on the go, since im traveling a lot. Everyone shooting in 4K nowdays, leads me to have to find a 4K-Editing solution on the go. I've enjoyed my old macbook for more than 10 years and now with the new processors I finally see a reason for an upgrade and hope (even though I dought it) the next one will stick with me just as long.
(My pc-workstation is also already 5 years old and I'll have to uprade that too soon, to keep up with a 4K workflow, but my questions regarding that will have to be in another post)

Info:
I found Mactrade to have cheap prices for macbooks so instead of 3209€ im only paying 2664€ (for the 10-core, 16GPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB Harddrive) and instead of 2959€ (for the 8core, 14GPU, 32 RAM, 1TB) im paying 2456€.
I already figured I need a 1TB harddrive and will get the 32gb RAM Upgrade to be at least a littel future-prooven. My main question is: Do I need a 10core or is the 8core version enough? Do the 2gb GPU upgrade on the (more expensive) 10core version matter at all? Would those two facts be worth another 200€ for editing? Where should I put my money on the configuration? And where would it be wasted?
Am I completely blinded by all the youtube-review-videos about the 14-Inch M1-Pro I saw and actually would be better off with the new 13-Inch M2?

Thank you so much for your help. And thank you for having this forum!!!All the best

What's your Budget?
-Since this is not supposed to be my only workstation I'm aming at around 2500€
What are your main workloads and secondary workloads?
-This macbook is supposed to enable me to work (film-edit) on the go. Since i'm travelling a lot and cannot take my big workstation with me.

- Are you looking to upgrade the PC in the near future?
-Unfortunatelly it seems like you can no longer upgrade macbooks, which totaly sucks but brings me here so I know where to spend the money, to not waste it but also be kinda future-prooven

- Please use a descriptive Post Title that shows readers at a glance what the post is about (what type of PC and workloads you are aiming at)

M

mrpink2010

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi, there this is my first thread so correct me if im doing something wrong.

About me:
I'm an independent filmmaker and want to buy a new macbook. I mainly use a workstation-PC for editing but need something to be able to work with on the go, since im traveling a lot. Everyone shooting in 4K nowdays, leads me to have to find a 4K-Editing solution on the go. I've enjoyed my old macbook for more than 10 years and now with the new processors I finally see a reason for an upgrade and hope (even though I dought it) the next one will stick with me just as long.
(My pc-workstation is also already 5 years old and I'll have to uprade that too soon, to keep up with a 4K workflow, but my questions regarding that will have to be in another post)

Info:
I found Mactrade to have cheap prices for macbooks so instead of 3209€ im only paying 2664€ (for the 10-core, 16GPU, 32GB RAM, 1TB Harddrive) and instead of 2959€ (for the 8core, 14GPU, 32 RAM, 1TB) im paying 2456€.
I already figured I need a 1TB harddrive and will get the 32gb RAM Upgrade to be at least a littel future-prooven. My main question is: Do I need a 10core or is the 8core version enough? Do the 2gb GPU upgrade on the (more expensive) 10core version matter at all? Would those two facts be worth another 200€ for editing? Where should I put my money on the configuration? And where would it be wasted?
Am I completely blinded by all the youtube-review-videos about the 14-Inch M1-Pro I saw and actually would be better off with the new 13-Inch M2?

Thank you so much for your help. And thank you for having this forum!!!All the best

What's your Budget?
-Since this is not supposed to be my only workstation I'm aming at around 2500€
What are your main workloads and secondary workloads?
-This macbook is supposed to enable me to work (film-edit) on the go. Since i'm travelling a lot and cannot take my big workstation with me.

- Are you looking to upgrade the PC in the near future?
-Unfortunatelly it seems like you can no longer upgrade macbooks, which totaly sucks but brings me here so I know where to spend the money, to not waste it but also be kinda future-prooven

- Please use a descriptive Post Title that shows readers at a glance what the post is about (what type of PC and workloads you are aiming at)
Or is going with the 32GB RAM the wrong way and i should get the M1 Max instead and put my money there?